turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Has anyone gotten rejected due to rejection code 1040-164-01 because of form 8862 being missing or needed . how can i fix this

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Has anyone gotten rejected due to rejection code 1040-164-01 because of form 8862 being missing or needed . how can i fix this

Follow these steps to add Form 8862 to your taxes.

1. Sign into your TurboTax account and click the big, orange Continue your return button.
  2. Click Search in the upper right-hand corner and search for 8862.
  3. Select the first result: Jump to 8862.

Now you are at the beginning of the Earned Income Credit.

1. Continue on the first two screens and stop when you see Do any of these uncommon situations apply?
  1. Check the box that says, "I got an IRS notice saying that I can only claim the Earned Income Credit if I file an 8862" and Continue.  
  2. Select Done, but hang on, there are a few more steps to go. 
  3. Answer the question about your IRS notice. Select No to file 8862. 
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi, I did this after I received the notice. I corrected it but still getting rejected. I hit the option to get mailed and now I can refile thru e-file. Why is that?

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

It's always possible that there have been IRS system updates that allow this filing.

The button where it says fix my return is not working for me. Everytime i push on it it act like its going to the next page but it ends right back to my home page

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

If you have TurboTax Online you can clear your cache and delete cookies. Also, try refreshing your browser and even try using a different browser. 

Here are two articles below that will show you how to clear your cache and delete cookies. 

How to clear your cache - Community 

How do I delete cookies? - Community 

Here is a help article that can help you troubleshoot too.

Troubleshoot blank screens, missing buttons, or mi...

Yes

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

Please see the TurboTax FAQ below on how to fix rejected code F1040-164-01 due to form 8862 missing from your return:

What is e-file reject F1040-164-01?

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies