Solved: Gambling winnings on w2g

taxxacct

Gambling winnings on w2g

no state code/id is given on form, it's left blank, how do I bypass this info?

DawnC0

Gambling winnings on w2g

If a state ID number is not printed on your paper W-2G, then you can use the "Payers' Federal Identification Number" number in its place. This is known as a Form format error, and should not result in a delay in processing your return. But make sure that you select the state you won the money in the drop-down box.

You can edit the W-2 Gs by typing "W2G"-no dashes, in the search bar at the top right of your program and then selecting "Jump to W-2G" and hitting enter.

As you enter of your Form W-2G s for your gambling winnings, the state section is coded to box 13.

Do not enter a zero if the box on your paper W2-G is blank.

• If there is a dollar amount in box 14 or 15, then in order to e-file, you will need a state id number in box 13. Enter the same Federal ID number and select the State you won the money in
  • If there is not a dollar amount in box 14 or 15, then leave 13 through 15 blank.

DawnC0

Gambling winnings on w2g

Tess92

Gambling winnings on w2g

I have W2G-s from different casinos in Missouri. In box 14, one of them identifies the box as "state winnings" and has the total winnings amount. On another W2G in Missouri, another casino identifies the box as "state income tax withheld" and doesn't have a box labeled "state winnings". Bottom line is do I have to report both gross winnings in Box 1 and also report state winnings in box 14? Or if reported on line one, does it automatically get included in state income?

VDUB

Gambling winnings on w2g

I have a somewhat related question. What if there is something written in Box 13 but box 14-17 are blank? I won something in a state I don't live in and want to make sure I file correctly. 

AmyC

Gambling winnings on w2g

Each W2 must be entered. The forms have already been sent to the state and the state knows you received the money. If you are not able to fill in the state information, it is okay to leave the state section blank and address it in the state return.

Each state has different laws on when you must file. For MO, a non-resident with less than $600 of Missouri income does not need to file a MO return. @Tess92 If you need to file, you can assign the MO income in the state section for the return. 

If you are required to file a return for the gambling winnings, you want to create your non-resident return first.

Your resident state taxes all income but gives a credit for income taxed by another state.  Please carefully follow these directions.

You will need to prepare the states in a special order. You may need to delete both states and begin again.

1. First, prepare your non-resident  return. This creates your tax liability for the non-resident state. How do I file a nonresident state return?
  2. THEN prepare your resident state return and it will generate a credit for your income already being taxed in the non-resident state.
  3. The credit will be the lower of the state tax liabilities on the same income. You may owe your resident state.

It isn't possible for the program to create a credit before it knows the liability. Your returns may be wrong if you do not prepare the states in this order.

@VDUB if you reply with the state, we can tell you if you need to file or you can contact the Department of Revenue

VDUB

Gambling winnings on w2g

@AmyC I live in MD and won a raffle in DC that resulted in me getting the W-2G. I initially did my resident state first and then non resident. How do I delete them and start over? 

Thank you!

TerukoL

Gambling winnings on w2g

You can delete your state return in TurboTax Online as long as you haven't paid or registered yet.

1. Sign in and open your return if you don't already have it open.
  2. From the left menu, select State (if you don't see this menu, select the menu icon in the upper-left) and then select Continue on the Let's get your state taxes done right screen.
  3. On the Status of your state returns screen select Delete to the right of your state, then answer Yes.

Please click How do I delete my state return in TurboTax Online? to learn more. 

VDUB

Gambling winnings on w2g

Thanks! @AmyC , I was able to delete my state returns and do them in the correct order but nothing changed. 

DianeW777

Gambling winnings on w2g

Delete the DC return and file only your MD resident return and you should be all set. Include the raffle winnings only on the MD return.