Solved: From the HSA section, for the question "Any contributions you personally made (not through your employer)", should I enter the amount that was taken out of my paycheck?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From the HSA section, for the question "Any contributions you personally made (not through your employer)", should I enter the amount that was taken out of my paycheck?

Money was taken out of every paycheck for my HSA. Is this considered a personal contribution, or is that considered "through my employer"?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Intuit Alumni

From the HSA section, for the question "Any contributions you personally made (not through your employer)", should I enter the amount that was taken out of my paycheck?

If the money was put into the HSA through payroll deductions, then it is considered to have been made through your employer. 

Essentially, the employer acted as the middle man to put your funds into the account.  These funds are pre-tax and should have been reported on your W-2 in box 12 with code W.

The question you are seeing is referring to any after-tax contributions that you made to the HSA.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Intuit Alumni

If the money was put into the HSA through payroll deductions, then it is considered to have been made through your employer. 

Essentially, the employer acted as the middle man to put your funds into the account.  These funds are pre-tax and should have been reported on your W-2 in box 12 with code W.

The question you are seeing is referring to any after-tax contributions that you made to the HSA.

View solution in original post

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings