Solved: If the money was put into the HSA through payroll ...

foster_caprice

From the HSA section, for the question "Any contributions you personally made (not through your employer)", should I enter the amount that was taken out of my paycheck?

Money was taken out of every paycheck for my HSA. Is this considered a personal contribution, or is that considered "through my employer"?

AnnetteB

If the money was put into the HSA through payroll deductions, then it is considered to have been made through your employer. 

Essentially, the employer acted as the middle man to put your funds into the account.  These funds are pre-tax and should have been reported on your W-2 in box 12 with code W.

The question you are seeing is referring to any after-tax contributions that you made to the HSA.

AnnetteB

aamir0

yes, but then how to get this information? through 5498-SA? Thanks.

AnnetteB6

If money was contributed to your Health Savings Account (HSA) through payroll deductions from your earnings at work, it should be reported on your W-2 in box 12 with code W.  If your employer made contributions on your behalf, it would also be reported on your W-2.  

Form 5498-SA will also show any contributions that were made to the HSA for the year, but you would not necessarily use that as a source of information for your tax return other than to verify that the amounts shown on Form 5498-SA match the amounts reported on your W-2 plus any contributions you made directly to the HSA.

For more information see the following TurboTax article:  Where do I enter Form 5498-SA?

@aamir0