turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

christinapilz
Returning Member

For 2020 and 2021 the IRS has returned my Turbo Tax form for lack of tax payer signature. I've not had this problem before - it's easy to fix but how is this happening?

It's only been the last two years. I'm not sure how I missed doing this, or how the process from Turbo Tax allows me to file without a signature.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

15 Replies

For 2020 and 2021 the IRS has returned my Turbo Tax form for lack of tax payer signature. I've not had this problem before - it's easy to fix but how is this happening?

Did you file by mail?

"how is this happening?"    It happened because you did not pay attention to the directions.....

If you file by mail you are required to sign your Form 1040 on the line on page 2 next to the words "Sign here."  When you e-file, you do not sign the form physically because the "signature" is electronic--you "sign" by entering your AGI or PIN.   But a paper tax return must have your physical signature in ink.   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
christinapilz
Returning Member

I appreciate the input. I did e-file my taxes in 2020 and 2021, so, according to the directions, I would not need to physically sign anything. 

Yet for those tax years, I have received a 1/2 inch thick stack of paper and a green slip that says I need to sign my tax return and mail it back to them.

If Turbo Tax allows me to efile, then why isn't this good enough for the IRS? 

christinapilz
Returning Member

No I did not file by mail. I efiled my taxes, as I have done for the last ten years. 

So what "papers" did they mail to you?   Does it match your efiled tax return?    You better call in and tell Turbo Tax.  You sure it is from the IRS and not a scam?  

How to contact Turbo Tax
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-contact-turbotax/00/26991

What is the Turbo Tax phone number
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

christinapilz
Returning Member

They mailed me my tax return (the whole thing). The return address was the Utah IRS, and the only place to mail all of this is to Utah, so I'm pretty sure it's not a scam. 

Thank you for the contact info because if there's a glitch in the system, then maybe Turbo Tax might want to know. 😄

Carl
Level 15

I'm pretty sure it's not a scam.

That would not be good enough for me. You need to be absolutely certain, not just beyond reasonable doubt, but beyond "any" doubt. You can call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 to find out. Expect to be on hold for awhile though.

If you e-filed, then you'll want to ask the IRS why they are mailing you a paper copy to sign. For all we know, it could be a computer glitch on their end, or maybe someone mailed one in using your information fraudulently.

A ) if you e-File successfully (ACCEPTED by IRS) your return is presumed to be signed. IRS is not going to ask for your signature.

B) if a paper return is not signed IRS sends back only Form 1040 pages1,2 for your signature, which you then send back.

Based on what you said, you're not dealing with the IRS.

@christinapilz 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Something's wrong here. If you e-filed, the IRS would not have a paper copy of your tax return. And in any case, your tax return would not be a 1/2-inch stack of paper. What's in that stack besides the actual IRS tax forms? If it includes TurboTax worksheets, that would suggest that someone got into your TurboTax Online account. The worksheets do not get sent to the IRS when you e-file. Did anyone else have access to your TurboTax account at any time?

Also, I don't think the IRS sends notices on a "green slip." They send a full page or multi-page notice with a notice number or letter number at the top right, starting with CP or LTR. Did they send both years in the same envelope? That would also be suspicious. And it seems unlikely that the IRS would be working on both years at the same time.

Did you have a refund or a payment due on your 2020 and 2021 tax returns? If you had refunds, did you receive the refunds? If you had a payment due, did you pay by direct debit? If you received your refunds, or your direct debits were processed, then your tax returns have already been processed and what you got in the mail is definitely a scam.

What is the address in Utah that they want you to send it to?

Since the situation is suspicious, I strongly recommend that you change the password on your TurboTax Online account.

christinapilz
Returning Member

Thank you. I will indeed change my password, just as a matter of security.

And I do believe there is a glitch in the system, since the tax return was efiled.

However, I don't think it's a scam. There's a green form 3531 attached to the stack of papers, and the return address I'm to send it to is 

Internal Revenue Service

Customer Service Center

Ogden UT 84201

Surely a scammer would have me send it somewhere else? 

@christinapilz 

No one has mentioned the elephant in the room.

Do you recognize the 1040 as the tax return you originally filed ??

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@fanfare wrote:

No one has mentioned the elephant in the room.

Do you recognize the 1040 as the tax return you originally filed ??

VolvoGirl asked that question, but the OP has not answered it.

christinapilz
Returning Member

Yes, thank you for asking. The returns are identical, and all the numbers line up. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies