First I was told I couldn't file until Feb 4th now...

jblevins_schs

First I was told I couldn't file until Feb 4th now it saying I can't until the 11th. It involves my form 6251. Anyone know what's going on?

HelenC12

TurboTax is waiting for the IRS to finalize Form 6251, Alternative Minimum Tax, and give us the approval to update our software.

• According to the forms availability FAQ, the form won't be finalized and our software upgraded until some time on 2/11/2021. 

The AMT is a parallel tax system that operates in the shadow of the regular tax, expanding the amount of income that is taxed by adding items that are tax-free and disallowing many deductions under the regular tax system  .

• To figure out whether you owe any additional tax under the Alternative Minimum Tax system, you need to fill out Form 6251.
  • If the tax calculated on Form 6251 is higher than that calculated on your regular tax return, you have to pay the difference as AMT in addition to the regularly calculated income tax. It can result in you paying hundreds or even thousands of dollars in additional taxes. 
  • To read the whole article, click here.
jblevins_schs

Thanks 

rickperk42

So it looks to me like form 6251 is available in the IRS forms online and does not seem to be a draft copy. So what is the hold up?

CarissaM

They have to up updated within the software. You can view the availability of the forms by clicking here. Once they are ready, you will see the forms updated. 

nzinger10

The IRS site shows 6251 has been finalized but yet turbotax won't finalize.  Thats absolutely uncalled for and quite pathetic.  Just do you part and update the software.  Afterall we paid for the software - you got your money now let us get ours!

jblevins_schs

I updated but it now says i can't file until the 18th.