turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

First I was told I couldn't file until Feb 4th now it saying I can't until the 11th. It involves my form 6251. Anyone know what's going on?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

First I was told I couldn't file until Feb 4th now it saying I can't until the 11th. It involves my form 6251. Anyone know what's going on?

TurboTax is waiting for the IRS to finalize Form 6251, Alternative Minimum Tax, and give us the approval to update our software.

• According to the forms availability FAQ, the form won't be finalized and our software upgraded until some time on 2/11/2021. 

The AMT is a parallel tax system that operates in the shadow of the regular tax, expanding the amount of income that is taxed by adding items that are tax-free and disallowing many deductions under the regular tax system  .

• To figure out whether you owe any additional tax under the Alternative Minimum Tax system, you need to fill out Form 6251.
  • If the tax calculated on Form 6251 is higher than that calculated on your regular tax return, you have to pay the difference as AMT in addition to the regularly calculated income tax. It can result in you paying hundreds or even thousands of dollars in additional taxes. 
  • To read the whole article, click here.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks 

So it looks to me like form 6251 is available in the IRS forms online and does not seem to be a draft copy. So what is the hold up?

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

They have to up updated within the software. You can view the availability of the forms by clicking here. Once they are ready, you will see the forms updated. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
nzinger10

The IRS site shows 6251 has been finalized but yet turbotax won't finalize.  Thats absolutely uncalled for and quite pathetic.  Just do you part and update the software.  Afterall we paid for the software - you got your money now let us get ours!

I updated but it now says i can't file until the 18th.

Today is the 18th and all I see is "Ready Soon" in the application.

The webpage was more helpful with Feb 24th :(

@pmirandaATX wrote:

Today is the 18th and all I see is "Ready Soon" in the application.

The webpage was more helpful with Feb 24th :(

Form 6251, Alternative Minimum Tax for tax year 2021 is estimated to be finalized and available in TurboTax for e-filing on 02/24/2022

Go to this TurboTax support FAQ for IRS forms availability - https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_fed_online_individual.html

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies