turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I heard that the IRS is holding tax returns with earned income credit until the end of February, meaning refunds wouldn't be issued until March. Is that true?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

84 Replies

I heard that the IRS is holding tax returns with earned income credit until the end of February, meaning refunds wouldn't be issued until March. Is that true?

By law, any returns that include Earned Income Credit and/or Additional Child Tax Credit will be held until around mid-February

And refunds from those returns will start releasing in late February. Please see below for additional details.

PATH Act delayed refunds for some filers

eforerika

Ya I got a comment 🙂 I hope this law is repealed, [removed]
mdot98045

File your taxes, go on about your day. Watching your bank account daily is not going to make it move any faster. Go to work, collect your paycheck and just have patience. If you filed electronically and did direct deposit, then you should like most people, get a notification when it is in your account. You filed, move on and stop clock watching. Life will still be the same a week after you get your refund anyway.

That was incredibly rude and unnecessary.
mdot98045

Shannon, i was not trying to be rude, i was simply making a comment to the person above stating how they wish everyone should be in prison for the change in weather. Apparently someone's tin foil hat is a little to tight! If my comment offended you, then maybe it should not be taken so seriously. Have a great day.

Tin foil to tight, whatever that means. How about you stop telling people what to do. If my comment offends you then maybe it should not be taken so seriously. Have a wonderful day Shannon.

IRS official twitter account is brimming with tax payers who's returns were accepted as early as Jan, but are indeed being held. After a hold of nearly an hour, the person I spoke with couldn't tell me why the ''review'' was taking so long for a simple, working person's return. I'm not alone in this and those of us who do work, pay in and need our refunds are not getting real answers or our money. Life might be the same for some people next week, but not for everyone. That must be nice.

That path act is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of
mdot98045

Agreed

Every year the dates get pushed back further and further. I think they should apply this law to people who have added dependents for that tax year. I’ve had the same two kids on my taxes for 10 years. Why should I have to wait? It makes no sense. I use to get my refunds in January, then the beginning of February, and now it looks like the beginning of March. It’s crazy how they say they will be held until mid February, but then say you won’t see a dime until February 27th. Last year my refund posted to my account 2/22.

Also another thing I need to look into is this additional $49.99 Turbo Tax now charges because I wanted my tax fees deducted from my federal refund. I will have to research it, but if it’s true I won’t be using this device anymore. That’s absolutely crazy to change $49.99 to collect the tax filing fees I’m already paying you. But I still neeed to look it up. If anyone has anything to add please let me know.

Also another thing I need to look into is this additional $49.99 Turbo Tax now charges because I wanted my tax fees deducted from my federal refund. I will have to research it, but if it’s true I won’t be using this device anymore. That’s absolutely crazy to change $49.99 to collect the tax filing fees I’m already paying you. But I still neeed to look it up. If anyone has anything to add please let me know.

I don't even have kids and I gotta wait it's bull shit

Why do you have to wait?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies