turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

reygip

What can I do if I have not received my W2 from a previous employer?

what about the ex-employer who purposely avoids your calls and did not send the w-2 to cause you problems. Isn't there penalties or that against the law?

maglib
Level 11

file a complaint with the IRS for failure to report..... this is an income tax board only, not the judicial side.
**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
Andrew_

My boss will send me my w-2's and won't answer his phone or messages [removed] phone number [phone number removed] help me. 

I never received my w-2s from an previous employer. What do I need to do?

KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

Start by contacting your employer.  They are required to distribute them to employees by 1/31/2020.   

If the employer is no longer in business or you can not reach someone you can contact IRS, if you have not received it by February 14th

After notifying IRS you can either continue waiting or go ahead and file Form 4852 in TurboTax:

• Visit the W-2 area of TurboTax and Start a W-2.
  • Enter the Employer ID Number (EIN) if you know it. Leave it blank if you don’t.
  • Enter all the info that should be on your W-2 if you actually received it. Use your pay stubs to estimate what your total income was from this employer and what your total taxes paid were (include federal, state, and local taxes). Essentially, you’re trying to re-create your W-2 based on the best information you have available on hand (pay stubs, bank statements, etc.).
  • Write out an explanation of how you figured out your wages and taxes paid.
    • Describe the steps you took when you tried to get your W-2 from your employer, like who you contacted and the date, etc…
  • After you’re done estimating what your W-2 should look like, select Continue until you get to the page that asks Do any of these uncommon situations apply to this W-2? and check the box that says Substitute form - I didn't get a W-2 from my employer and need to complete a substitute form.

Here is a good Help Topic that will provide you with additional details:  Its February and I don't have my W2!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post

I never received 2 of my w2s. My employees won't help me. What van I do

What all do I need to do to receive my w2s from my recent employer road runner on merrimon avenue Asheville NC.. I have been there and also called them and they just keep giving me the run-around which isn't right at all because i would like to be able to file my taxes before it's too late 

BillM223
Expert Alumni

@Heatherbrock51

For the IRS' instructions on how to handle the situation where the employer will not send you a W-2, please see this IRS webpage.

An alternative is to see if you can get a transcript of the income forms sent to the IRS (your employer should have sent copies of your W-2(s) to the IRS).

See Get Transcript. You want the Wage and Income Transcript.

Note that transcripts are not available by mail at the moment, but are available only online.

hi 

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Hi!  If you need a copy of your W-2, contact your employer or former employer.   If you have a questions about something else, please comment.     @rose12345678910

You can file a conventional paper return that includes IRS Form 4852 if all efforts to obtain a W-2 from your employer have failed.   Returns including Form 4852 can't be e-filed per IRS regulations. so this option should be a last resort.     The link has full instructions. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies