Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Every time I close the Turbo Tax program it deletes all my data.

When I close the Turbo Tax program I loose all my data and have to start all over again. This has happened four times so I am about run out of returns.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you are using desktop you can E-FILE five federal returns.   That does not mean you can only prepare five returns.   If you need to file more than five the other ones can be mailed.

But what is the real problem?   Are you preparing a tax return and not saving it?   If you are using desktop software you have to save it yourself.   Before you close out of the return you need to go up to File and Save it.   Give it a name so you can find it again to open it and work on it again.    Desktop software does not autosave it.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Have you selected the drop-down box in the upper left hand corner of TurboTax and selected "save" before closing out of TurboTax? Also, when you close, TurboTax should provide you a pop-up box prompting you to save your return. 

What do you mean run out of returns?  I assume you have the Desktop program?  It can do unlimited returns and efile 5 for free.  Or do you need to keep reinstalling the actual program?

If you are using desktop you can E-FILE five federal returns.   That does not mean you can only prepare five returns.   If you need to file more than five the other ones can be mailed.

But what is the real problem?   Are you preparing a tax return and not saving it?   If you are using desktop software you have to save it yourself.   Before you close out of the return you need to go up to File and Save it.   Give it a name so you can find it again to open it and work on it again.    Desktop software does not autosave it.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Yes, I have the desk top version. Thought I had a limit of 5 federal returns. Now I know better.

I am loosing the data, not the program. I have to start from scratch re-entering the data.

When you go up to File-Open doesn't your return show up in the box?

Your tax return file ends in .tax2019, .tax2020, .tax2021 etc.  Search your computer for it.  Check the Recycle Bin or Trash.  Check in One Drive, etc.  it should be in your Documents then in the Turbo Tax folder.  Check your backups.  Also if you have multiple Windows user accounts, log into each one and do the search for the *.tax2021 data file from within each one and checking the Recycle Bin in each one.

If you don't have the main .tax file you might have one that starts with a Tilde sign ~ like  "~your name.tax2021".  That file is if your computer crashes or your real file gets lost or deleted or corrupt so you can restore it.

How to show the file extension in Windows

https://www.howtogeek.com/205086/beginner-how-to-make-windows-show-file-extensions/

See this post (scroll down) he found his files in the Administrator account

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/all-my-turbo-tax-information-is-missing-where-did...

Don't know if this will help any Turbo Tax users but one Quicken user found them......

What I found was that my Quicken Data files ended up in the One-drive Recycle bin. Not sure how, but I found them there.  I placed the files back onto the laptop and brought the files into Quicken and now have all my data back.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies