turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Reported incorrect wage amount will the IRS correct it for me?

I made a mistake and reported a different amount in box 1 of my W-2 in the tax program. My return was still accepted even with the wage error. My question is will the IRS correct the wage amount for me or will I have to amend? The wage is the only thing I typed in wrong on my taxes. Everything else was fine.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

It will take the IRS at least a year to catch up with you about the mistake, so it is better to go ahead and Amend your Tax Return to correct the mistake in order to avoid any interest and penalties down the road.

You will need to Amend your Tax Return by filing Form 1040-X. If your Tax Return has already been e-filed and accepted by the IRS, you will need to wait until it has been fully processed and you have either received your refund or your payment has cleared.

Once your Tax Return has been fully processed, you can Amend it to correct the Wage Amount.

Check out the TurboTax FAQ below for details on how to Amend your return: 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

So the IRS wont make the change for me? I read that sometimes they'll correct mistakes for people and that's the only mistake on my return that I made.
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Eventually, the IRS will correct the mistake but it could lead to you paying interest and penalties if the mistake caused you to get a bigger refund than you should have.

So they don't usually correct mistakes right away? I did the math and my refund only decreased by $16 when I typed in my correct wage amount. But I was still getting a refund just $16 less. I would hope I don't have to amend for a $16 difference. I thought it would fall under a math error and that they would correct it and just adjust my refund amount.
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

I didn't realize that you already filed without your W2.  No, they definitely don't correct the mistake right away. It usually takes about a year for them to match up your Tax Return with the W2s sent in by Employers.  They may let a difference as small as $16 slide, but I can't say for sure.

Ok. Well thank you for you help. I'll keep an eye on my refund and see if they make any adjustments. Hopefully they do so I can avoid the amendment.

I put the wrong amount its supposed to be 31119 on Lamberth and son it said 3119  the 1099 for Anthony key is 10,210,00 my wife is 13,182 00 on her 1099 I think it right just the Lamberth  and son w2 wage went in wrong

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

If you make an error on the tax return, and you file, wait until the IRS has processed it

There is a good chance the IRS will correct it, if the error was entering a tax form (that the IRS gets a copy of) incorrectly. 

Try not to amend a tax return until the original has processed. Amending too soon will make the returns cross one-another and can cause confusion. 

HOWEVER, if the error will cause you to owe additional tax, make sure you send the tax payment in before the due date of April 15th. You can send a check with your social security number and the tax year written in the memo line on your check or money order. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies