Solved: employer put 23,000 wages in the box14 as OR STT w... - Community

My wife's W2 has in box 14 "ORSTTW - $43,980.89". The SW automatically set this as the Oregon Statewide Transit tax. This is actually the WAGES for it.

Since the software mis-handled the ORSTTW in box 14, it reported an additional $43,980 in state taxes paid. This could get someone in trouble if it was the difference in hitting the max SALT for itemized deductions. Please fix it! ORSTT was the line below it and that was the correct Oregon Statewide Transit Tax.

Yep, and the "Category" selection is different depending on whether you are using the Online software vs Desktop software.   

Here's what I tell people who post here and actually notice the problem....for the others that do not realize it was wrong.., they are Screwed and facing an eventual amended tax return mess!..

______________________

IF There is one entry for the smaller amount (ORSTTT).....the Turbotax Category you select is "ORSTT W/H"  where "W/H" = withholding  ................(or select "Oregon Statewide Transit Tax" if you are using the desktop software)

(.....but I'm not sure the other one (ORSTTW) "wages" should even be there in box 14 at all......but I guess that's something for the Oregon tax EA's/CPAs to fight.....)

IF&when you do enter the larger ORSTTW $$ amount make sure you select (I guess) "Other not on above list"...that's probably what you needed to select 

_________________________________

BUT..it will only happen for Oregon W-2 forms that have the wages in box 14......I'm not sure that all W-2 forms will have the wages there...but all should have the Tax itself there.

I informed TTX (offline) that this will be a MAJOR problem, and I'll add your post to it too. 

______________________

_________________________________

It doesn't show up on all of them because only the smaller number showed up on my W2. I thought this submission was going to TurboTax so they could work on a fix. Hopefully they read these?

employer put 23,000 wages in the box14 as OR STT wages  and originally Turbo Tax put it under State taxes paid for oregon ! i was getting a refund of $400 then the next time i signed on it changed on its own and now i owe $93 to state! this was confusing .. employer prob should not put that in box 14 and Turbo Tax must have caught the mistake but luckily i didnt file my taxes yet .. I spent a loing time researching this... looks like it might be a problem for others...

Hi Everyone - I have the same issue in Box 14, where my employer put both the TAX on one line and the WAGES on which the transit tax was computed, on another line.  So....should we not put the WAGES in Box 14 in Turbo Tax and only put the TAX there?  What is everyone doing on this issue?  

I overrode the explanation for the wages line to "Other - not listed"

So....you put the WAGES amount in Box 14, but showed it as "Other - not listed"....?

Correct.