turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

s-siemer

Why is TurboTax giving me a QBI Deduction ($10) when I do not own a business and am not self employed?

I report income from W-2, 1099-DIV, 1099-INT, 1099-B,1099-R and SSA-1099.

In my federal deduction/credit summary, TurboTax Premier shows a $10 QBI deduction, even though I am not a business owner or self-employed, and did not have income reported on a form 1099-MISC.  Why would I be entitled to this deduction, and if I'm not, how do I get rid of it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Why is TurboTax giving me a QBI Deduction ($10) when I do not own a business and am not self employed?

Eligible taxpayers may also be entitled to a deduction of up to 20 percent of their combined qualified real estate investment trust (REIT) dividends and qualified publicly traded partnership (PTP) income. This component of the section 199A deduction is not limited by W-2 wages or the UBIA of qualified property.

Individuals, trusts and estates with qualified business income, qualified REIT dividends or qualified PTP income may qualify for the deduction. In some cases, patrons of horticultural or agricultural cooperatives may be required to reduce their deduction.

View solution in original post

13 Replies

Do you have rental income?
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
s-siemer

No rental income. Upon further research, I think it is due to a REIT dividend in one of my investment portfolios. Wasn't clear to me in TurboTax when I searched on QBI deductions that I would be eligible for a deduction based on this.
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Eligible taxpayers may also be entitled to a deduction of up to 20 percent of their combined qualified real estate investment trust (REIT) dividends and qualified publicly traded partnership (PTP) income. This component of the section 199A deduction is not limited by W-2 wages or the UBIA of qualified property.

Individuals, trusts and estates with qualified business income, qualified REIT dividends or qualified PTP income may qualify for the deduction. In some cases, patrons of horticultural or agricultural cooperatives may be required to reduce their deduction.

I do and it stated I was receiving a $2600 QBI credit and I’m trying to figure out if I did something wrong or I am suppose to receive this just for having a rental property? 
any advice would be helpful.

bjh2022
Returning Member

Why do I have a credit for $159?

GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

You are correct that the Qualified Business Income deduction allows owners of businesses to deduct up to 20 percent of their qualified business income.  However it also allows a deduction of 20 percent of qualified real estate investment trust (REIT) dividends, and qualified publicly traded partnership (PTP) income.  Have you received any dividends from REITs and PTPs?  If so, your QBI deduction is likely the result of this type of income.   

Regarding your $159 credit, we need some additional information from you about this credit.  Can you tell us to what it relates?  For example, is it an educational credit, a dependent credit, or is it the earned income tax credit?  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
bjh2022
Returning Member

I do not know why TurboTax is giving me a deduction of $159.

bjh2022
Returning Member

?I am not aware of having any income that would qualify me for this deduction.

Did you enter any 1099Div or K-1 forms?   It can come from those.

bjh2022
Returning Member

I do not have any of these credits.

bjh2022
Returning Member

Yes i entered 1099-DIv forms.

What line is the 159 on?  Before filing,  You can preview the 1040 or print the whole return

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-f...

Very helpful, thanks. My qualification I realized is that I had invested in quite a few PTP/publicly traded partners, I.e. companies that pay dividends. Yay..another benefit of doing so!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies