Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

dk82
Level 3

EFile rejected with code R0000-058-01. This appears to be a problem with form 7206. Any timeline for when this will be fixed in the desktop version ?

It shouldn't (and doesn't) double count the entry. Unchecking the"I'm self-employed and bought a Marketplace plan" box delinks the 1095-A from a Schedule C.

Regarding TT accuracy, the 1095-A seems to be an ongoing source of issues. There were more serious bugs with the handling of 8962 and subsidy repayment limitations in both of the last two years that could result in taxpayers significantly underpaying. I raised the issue with both Intuit and the IRS and it was eventually acknowledged but not fixed before April 15.

EFile rejected with code R0000-058-01. This appears to be a problem with form 7206. Any timeline for when this will be fixed in the desktop version ?

@DawnC 

Desktop software here, with most recent (3/27) update.  Replying here for proof of reporting when I go looking for a refund from TT.

As many others have noted, this is NOT fixed.  I have a Schedule C with 7206 not required, but it keeps generating the 7206 and does not let me delete it. (That is, it appears to let me delete it, but then it pops right back).  I do not have a 1095A or 1095B, which as many have noted feed into the 7206, so I don't know what data is feeding the 7206 and preventing me from deleting it.

Here we are this close to filing deadline, and due to upcoming travel I MUST file by tomorrow.  If I hold my breath for a fix and there isn't one by 4/15, I won't be able to print & mail the hard copies from where I'll be.   I understand the error involves PDF format on the 7206, as well as including 7206's that aren't required, and that TT has fixed it before and then it broke again.  I do NOT understand why they don't prioritize this to fix again, for good.  I've used TurboTax for years, but the only way I'll even consider using it again is with a full refund of the software as well as the state filing fee I already paid. (State return is also rejected, due to Federal rejection).

Also, what's with the lack of search functionality in the desktop version?!  When I try to search for 7206 (or anything, for that matter), it opens a popup with online help articles.  What I'm trying to do is search for that term anywhere in MY return.  My workaround has been to save all sheets to PDF and search there. Should be able to search within TT!  (Then maybe I'd have a better clue about what other forms or worksheets might be feeding the 7206)

@kmillerrr

While our returns' particulars are slightly different, our experiences are quite similar. It is absolutely appalling the way TT has stonewalled us on this whole issue, and the machinations other users of this forum are going through to try and coax TT into producing an accurate return are exactly the sorts of things most of started using TT to avoid. If I need to be an accountant and a coder to use the software, what exactly did I spend my money for? TT should absolutely refund our purchase price; and if they expect us to return as customers next year they should provide next year's package for free as well--assuming it's functional. 

@DawnC , can you bring this to the attention to whomever would be in a position to authorize this?

POSSIBLE SOLUTION! 😀

My Federal Tax return was rejected earlier this evening with the same error code. "R0000-058-01 - An XML document that represents a binary attachment must have a valid reference to an attached file." After researching questions and answers, I have since "fixed" the error, resubmitted, and just received notice that my Federal Tax return was accepted.

Here's what I did:

1. Switch from EasyStep to Forms.

2. Click Open Form.

3. Search for Form 7206.

4. I had 5 listed in the results. I clicked on each one. 3 were nothing and ask you to select an existing Form 7206. 1 was associated with my K-1, and 1 was associated with my Schedule C. I deleted the 1 associated with Schedule C and kept the one associated with the K-1. (Two things to note: My 7206 has no relevance, so deleting it wouldn't affect bottom line. 2. After trying to delete it multiple times. It would immediately repopulate.) *If you have a K-1 that is necessary, make sure you don't have another that you should delete.

5. After searching a second time for Form 7206, I verified that there was only the 1 Form 7206 associated with my K-1 in my return. My guess is that it will be rejected if you have 2 Form 7206's.

6. I saved. Resubmitted Federal. Received acceptance. Then submitted State Return after confirming acceptance.

Give me a thumbs up if this works for anyone!

You can print individual forms by clicking on the Form button at the top right of the screen. This brings up a list of all the forms and worksheets, click on the one you would like to print. The view screen shows the form in draft format. If you print the form using the button on the bottom of the screen, the printout will be in full pdf format. You can also print out your entire tax return in pdf format if you proceed to Filing and print the forms out before you acutally file. This will give you a copy you can mail assuming your filing is unsuccessful. At this point printing this out and mailing it is your only choice if you have this problem.

Deborahwrite1 solution will only work if you don't need a Form 7206 attached to your Sch C (i.e you did not check the "I have health insurance purchased through the business" box). There does not seem to a problem with Form 7206 associated with the K-1. Note however buying health insurance through K-1 or Sch C is not equivalent. As I remember when associatged with K-1 the company needs to buy the insurance and you need to declare the reimbursement as income, even if you actually paid for it yourself and didn't get reimbursed. Check the IRS instructions for this form to check the details.

@stevewhelan 

Even if I didn't need it, it was attached and accepted.

As I suggested in my "possible solution," TurboTax might be creating 2 - Form 7206's. Just delete the one you don't need. I deleted the one associated with my Schedule C because the health insurance I purchase (through my state's marketplace) is associated with the K-1 business, so I kept it. (it is does show as a deduction on a different form.) If you need Form 7206 for Schedule C keep it and delete the one(s) you don't need.

KEY takeaway: Make sure you only have 1 - Form 7206 in your return. Then try filing. 

Also, I didn't see 2 - Form 7206's listed in the left side panel, so it was never obvious I had more than one until i did the search, as noted in my first reply. @Deborahwrites1 

This might work for some people. 

jknr
Level 2

I decided to submit a refund request and will be using another service. 

It's already been a week since I made my first post here. It's getting so close to 4/15 that if I were to keep waiting for (hopeful) news with no concrete timeline, I would have no time to act on a backup plan to get everything submitted comfortably. Especially considering that the blank 7206 line 1 issue and the rejection errors are two separate (but in theory, related) issues. I hope I get my request approved (I doubt it) but getting my submissions in and moving on is more important to me at this point.

winstonwolf
Returning Member

This is crazy, how did you request a refund?

I have been using Turbotax since the 80s.  This is absolutely atrocious.

Will be looking at alternatives, any suggestions?

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Here is a link: How do I request a refund for my TurboTax product?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Let me clarify. The failed filing problem is associated with a Form 7206 for health insurance purchased as a Sch C sole proprietor attachment. If you receive an S-Corp or LLC Form K-1 you can claim the deduction for health insurance paid by the S-Corp/LLC on an associated 7206, but you have to also declare the amount paid for insurance as income. In this case you cannot claim the deduction if you pay the insurance yourself. That is not the case with a sole proprietorship Sch C because you can purchase it personally and still be eligible for the deduction. See instructions for Form 7206 for details. 

Did not work for me, the form will not delete

I have the same issue with the rejection of my federal and state returns for the same error message (An XML document that represents a binary attachment ...) and contacted Intuit for assistance.  They said that the problem was probably most likely with my 1099NEC's having some unacceptable characters in the filers name [&,#, etc).  I went through my 1099NEC's and made a correction to one and double checked everything.  I refiled and was again rejected by the IRS and the state.  I do have a form 7206 in my return also (which I need) and think that this is now the problem.  It appear to be OK, but how do I know what's acceptable to the IRS.  Has anyone tried completely deleting their Sch C and 7206 and recreating them?  I don't know if this would recreate an acceptable Form 7206.

If the Form 7206 is attached to your Sch C business (see Forms list in TT) then you won't be able to delete it unless you uncheck the box in TT that asks if your you had health insurance paid by your business and delete any 1095-A entries. The problem is if you do this you will lose this deduction and the IRS requires you to file it if you receive a subsidy (so it is not practical unless there are no entries in the above). If this Form 7206 is filed the IRS currently rejects the return (it has been a problem for over 3 weeks now). TT says there may not be a solution before the filing deadline and recommends filing by mail. However, if the Form 7206 is associated with a Sch K-1 (ie an LLC or S-Corp) then the Form 7206 seems to work and is accepted when you file.  However beware that when claiming the Health premium deduction on K-1 the company has to pay for the premiums and the company has to add these payment to your W-2 as income (this is not the case for a sole proprietor Sch C business).

Let me clarify:

POSSIBLE SOLUTION for some circumstances.

My Federal Tax return was rejected earlier this evening with the same error code. "R0000-058-01 - An XML document that represents a binary attachment must have a valid reference to an attached file." After researching questions and answers, I have since "fixed" the error, resubmitted, and just received notice that my Federal Tax return was accepted.

Here's what I did:

1. Switch from EasyStep to Forms.

2. Click Open Form.

3. Search for Form 7206.

4. I had 5 listed in the results. I clicked on each one. 3 were nothing and ask you to select an existing Form 7206. 1 was associated with my K-1, and 1 was associated with my Schedule C.  Try deleting any extra 7206 forms that are NOT needed. I had two associated with my return. When I deleted one of them, it was accepted. PLEASE make sure you keep the necessary form for submission. 

5. After searching a second time for Form 7206, I verified that there was only the 1 Form 7206 associated with my K-1 in my return. My guess is that it will be rejected if you have 2 Form 7206's.

6. I saved. Resubmitted Federal. Received acceptance. Then submitted State Return after confirming acceptance.

NOTE: There was only 1 Form 7206 listed in the left side of the forms list, so I had no idea there was a second active form until I did the search as listed above. 

This is a possible solution for some users. It is worth a try since it worked for me and two others.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies