Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Earned 15k w/ my own business in 2017. Collected $ w/ Square & they said I don't have to file for a 1099-K. Do I need to claim this income?

I'm a 19 year old dependent full time college student. I started a social marketing business in 2017 (No LLC filed) and earned 15K. I collected my payments through SquareUp P.O.S and when I am on their website, it says that I do not have to file for a 1099-K since I earned less than $20K in 2017. Does this mean that I do not have to claim this income on my taxes? Is there any additional information I need to know about filing?
1 Reply
Level 15

Earned 15k w/ my own business in 2017. Collected $ w/ Square & they said I don't have to file for a 1099-K. Do I need to claim this income?

You have to report all your income, whether or not you get a 1099Misc or 1099K, etc.

How to enter income from Self Employment

To report your self employment income you will fill out schedule C in your personal 1040 tax return and pay SE self employment Tax.  You will need to use the Online Self Employed version or any Desktop program but the Desktop Home & Business version will have the most help.

For the future, There is also QuickBooks Self Employment bundle you can check out which includes one Turbo Tax Online Self Employed  return....

You need to report all your income even if you don't get a 1099Misc. You use your own records.  You are considered self employed and have to fill out a schedule C for business income.   You use your own name, address and ssn or business name and EIN if you have one.   You should say you use the Cash Accounting Method and all income is At Risk.   

After it asks if you received any 1099Misc it will ask if you had any income not reported on a 1099Misc. You should be keeping your own records.  Just go through the interview and answer the questions.   Then you will enter your expenses.

Self Employment tax (Scheduled SE) is automatically generated if a person has $400 or more of net profit from self-employment.  You pay 15.3% SE tax on 92.35% of your Net Profit greater than $400.  The 15.3% self employed SE Tax is to pay both the employer part and employee part of Social Security and Medicare.  So you get social security credit for it when you retire.  You do get to take off the 50% ER portion of the SE tax as an adjustment on line 27 of the 1040.  The SE tax is already included in your tax due or reduced your refund.  It is on the 1040 line 57.  The SE tax is in addition to your regular income tax on the net profit.

Here is some IRS reading material……

IRS information on Self Employment

Pulication 334, Tax Guide for Small Business

Publication 535 Business Expenses
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings