Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jackplym
Returning Member

Downloading turboTax

I purchased a TT2021 CD and installed it in my Windows10 desktop, no problem. Then I tried to download and install it on my laptop using InstallTurboTax.com. When I first tried to install it, the laptop was having a problem, so I abandoned the effort. Now when I try to download and install it, I get the error message: "This License code has already been associated with an account. Please check that account and look for it in Downloads".

I've looked in the various Windows download accounts on the laptop and don't see anything that looks like 2021.

I'm stuck, any thoughts?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

Downloading turboTax

If you installed from the CD it seems you can not download it from online now.  You can't do both CD and download.   See the new info on this FAQ

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/i-bought-the-cd-but-my-computer-doesn-t-have-a-cd-...

It says...

You can download your software directly from TurboTax. But, keep in mind, you can't use both the CD and the download — you must use or or the other.

So you need to call in to get the download pushed to your account.  Contact Customer Service
5am-5pm Pacific Time
Monday-Friday
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

What is the Turbo Tax phone number
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Downloading turboTax

Look in your This PC and in the Downloads directory. 

The TurboTax download will  be windows_per_turbotax.exe

Downloading turboTax

Correct ... if your laptop doesn't have a CD drive then download the installation file to a thumb drive and move it to the laptop ... the system will think you used the CD again ... saves a call to TT support. 

jackplym
Returning Member

Downloading turboTax

Thanks, all good info. I'll try.

Downloading turboTax

If you copy the .exe file from the first computer, please let me know how that works.  I haven't heard of doing that before.  

Downloading turboTax

@DoninGA  @Critter-3   I thought I would try copying my 2019 program to the laptop.  I searched my Desktop for turbotax to see where the program files were stored.  There are LOTS of .exe files.  Do I just need to copy one?  Like for 2019 I found

turbotax2019 installer.exe

turbotax.exe (no year but each year in year folder)

turbotax utility.exe (no year again)

w_turbotax_1040_hab_2019.exe

and many others

Will the w_turbotax_1040_hab_2019.exe  be the one?  Will it install the rest of the files needed?

Downloading turboTax

@VolvoGirl The installation file I have for the tax year 2019 Premier edition is w_turbotax_1040_prm_2019.380.0104.exe This has the last update included for tax year 2019.

Looks like the one you have is the first installation without any updates, w_turbotax_1040_hab_2019.exe.  It should work and install the 2019 software then you will get the latest updates after you open the program.

Downloading turboTax

Oh I just didn't type all the numbers at the end.  2019.040.0101.exe  Is mine higher than yours?

And why is it in C:\Users\my name\Downloads if I installed from the CD?  

Downloading turboTax

Oh, I did download 2019 and it was the first year with the License Code so I don't want to mess with that.  Maybe I'll try 2018.   I have 2015-2019 in my downloads folder.  But I don't remember downloading all the years.   I've always gotten the CD.  I'll have to log in and see what years are in my account.  

Downloading turboTax

@VolvoGirl wrote:

Oh I just didn't type all the numbers at the end.  2019.040.0101.exe  Is mine higher than yours?

And why is it in C:\Users\my name\Downloads if I installed from the CD?  

Probably higher because of the Home & Business edition update which did not apply to the Premier edition.  Why in your download directory?  That is where the installation update file is sent using Windows even if the initial install was from a CD.  My guess anyway.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies