Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does the turbotax software recognized my online turbotax account? I filed online last year, but bought the software this year...

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Does the turbotax software recognized my online turbotax account? I filed online last year, but bought the software this year...

TurboTax Desktop does not "recognize" your Online account; however, if you want to transfer your data from last year's Online return to the Desktop software, it's easy to do.  

You are going to start by creating a "mock" 2019 return in TurboTax Online.  This is so you can transfer the 2018 data that you have online into 2019.  Then, you will move the 2019 file from online to your desktop.  Then once you have installed the desktop software you will be able to open the 2019 tax file in desktop.

Start with these steps -

1. Log into your online account you used for 2018 and "start" a 2019 return
  2. Use the transfer feature to transfer your 2018 data into your 2019 online return
  3. Now, you should have a 2019 return in TurboTax Online with all of your information from 2018

Transfer from Online to Desktop

1. Save your online return as a tax data file.
  2. Sign out of TurboTax Online.
  3. Install your 2019 TurboTax software.
    • If you have not purchased TurboTax Desktop software, select the product you need to complete your return.
    • Important: If your return includes a state, make sure you also install the corresponding state program(s), otherwise you'll get Error 539. 
  4. Once installed, choose File then Open Tax Return in the software.
  5. Browse to where you saved your .tax2019 file, select it, and then select Open.
  6. If you get an error, delete your tax data file and repeat these steps from the beginning.
  7. Optional: Once you've confirmed that your online return opens properly in the software, you can clear your online return.

For additional information see https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-online-to-th...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

TurboTax Desktop does not "recognize" your Online account; however, if you want to transfer your data from last year's Online return to the Desktop software, it's easy to do.  

You are going to start by creating a "mock" 2019 return in TurboTax Online.  This is so you can transfer the 2018 data that you have online into 2019.  Then, you will move the 2019 file from online to your desktop.  Then once you have installed the desktop software you will be able to open the 2019 tax file in desktop.

Start with these steps -

1. Log into your online account you used for 2018 and "start" a 2019 return
  2. Use the transfer feature to transfer your 2018 data into your 2019 online return
  3. Now, you should have a 2019 return in TurboTax Online with all of your information from 2018

Transfer from Online to Desktop

1. Save your online return as a tax data file.
  2. Sign out of TurboTax Online.
  3. Install your 2019 TurboTax software.
    • If you have not purchased TurboTax Desktop software, select the product you need to complete your return.
    • Important: If your return includes a state, make sure you also install the corresponding state program(s), otherwise you'll get Error 539. 
  4. Once installed, choose File then Open Tax Return in the software.
  5. Browse to where you saved your .tax2019 file, select it, and then select Open.
  6. If you get an error, delete your tax data file and repeat these steps from the beginning.
  7. Optional: Once you've confirmed that your online return opens properly in the software, you can clear your online return.

For additional information see https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-online-to-th...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies