turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does the irs immediately reject return of dependent is already claimed

I'm claiming my nephew but my sister believes that someone else might have already claimed him. How can I be certain he hasn't?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
lisab1300

No, your return will not be immediately rejected.  You will need to ask the person who might have claimed him IF your nephew was claimed.  If that is not an option and you claim your nephew along with someone else, the first person to file their tax return that claims the boy will probably get their refund.  The second person to file their return will get notified that the dependent was already claimed and will not get a refund.  The first person will get notified as well and you both will have to go through an audit.  Both of you would have to prove WHY you believe you have the right to claim the boy.  They law (either by IRS code or court order) will determine who has the right to file with your nephew as a dependent.  The person who doesn't have the right (in the eyes of the law) will have to amend their return and may be penalized.

Yes your return will reject if a return with a same ssn has already been filed.  Then you will have to mail your return and let the IRS determine who is able to claim a dependent.  A ssn can only be efiled on 1 return.
Kyana Williams
Returning Member

What if you already but few hours after that get a Ip pin after you already file tax would somebody get rejected for that but have dependent on there u can only use dependents once are somebody else can still use your dependents after u get rejected

@Kyana Williams Your question is pretty confusing.   A child can only be claimed on one tax return.   If someone else uses the child's Social Security number the second return to be e-filed with that SSN will be rejected.  If you are asking because someone claimed your child and your return gets rejected, then you need to print, sign and file your tax return.   That way the IRS will process your return and then sort it out later.   Be prepared to get  a letter from the IRS someday and be ready to prove that you are the one who could claim the child.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

And if you've already submitted the return via e-file, you won't know if the return is accepted or rejected until January 24, when the IRS officially opens their e-filing.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Kyana Williams
Returning Member

Awe ok nah I get a ip pin right after I file my tax return few hours after

@Kyana Williams wrote:

What if you already but few hours after that get a Ip pin after you already file tax would somebody get rejected for that but have dependent on there u can only use dependents once are somebody else can still use your dependents after u get rejected

If your dependent has been assigned an IP PIN and you did not include it on your tax return, your tax return will be rejected by the IRS and returned to you.  You can add the IP PIN and re-transmit the return.

If someone else tries to claim your dependent without the IP PIN, the IRS will also reject their tax return.  Once a person has an IP PIN assigned the IRS will reject any e-filed return that does not contain the IP PIN.

Note that even though Turbotax is available to file some returns now, the IRS won't open e-filing until the end of the month, and all tax returns are being held in a data warehouse until then, so it may be a couple of weeks before you get the notice of a rejected return.  

IRS will reject your return immediately if another person already claimed a dependent.

The thing is, IRS is not open for e-File yet so the check cannot happen.

Nmont
Returning Member

Every year my ex fraudulently claims my children on his taxes when they live with me. 365 days a year. So this year I put in a lot of effort to try and beat him to the punch. My return got rejected for a pin related issue. Nothing to do with my children. Turbotax allowed me to correct the issue and resubmit my return through e-file.  My question is, will my XP able to claim them? Because my return got rejected even though I fixed it recently. Edited it and it now says pending

@Nmont The IRS is not accepting/rejecting  2023 returns until January 29.   So your return is on a server in "pending"---with millions of other returns (possibly your ex's) waiting for the IRS to open and begin to accept or reject the e-file.   If yours is accepted first, your ex is the one whose will be rejected if he claims the children.  It is not "first come first serve" in the pipeline of e-files waiting on servers.  So you will simply have to wait until sometime on or after January 29 for the email that tells you if your return was accepted or rejected.   If it is rejected for duplicate use of the children's SSN's----you already know what to do----print it, sign it and file it by mail and let the IRS sort it out.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies