Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does sick leave payment from the Families First Cornovirus Response Act get added to Box 14 of my W-2 as "Sick Leave Wages" or separately as Paid family leave?

The "sick leave wages" were documented in a typewritten letter that accompanied my auto-generated W-2 from my employer, not included on my W-2.

It states "for sick leave wages paid for leave taken due to EPSLA 1, 2, or 3 (sick leave wages subject to the $511 per day limit)."
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Does sick leave payment from the Families First Cornovirus Response Act get added to Box 14 of my W-2 as "Sick Leave Wages" or separately as Paid family leave?

Box 14 is informational only. This is where employers put any extra information they want to transmit.  The paid family leave can qualify as sick leave wages. You don't have to enter the box 14 information. The IRS has already received their copy from your employer. Any taxable wages should be included in your box 1 wages. See:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Turbotax made me check a box. Why did it not explain that this is for info only? Also any box did not seem right. Also on Family leave my employer pays it as Sick time that I have accumulated. There isn't a box for the yearly amount but it is taxed by my employer just like wages?

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

If the employer paid it as sick-leave, it won't be reported any other way than as wages on your W-2. 

Please simply enter the W-2 as shown into the TurboTax program. 

whatax
Returning Member

I have something similar. I received an extra w-2 with only box 14 entry, stating "$150 Sick leave wages subject to the $511 per day limit." Do I not add this in TurboTax? Or do I enter it as the description with $150 as the amount? Or do I enter it some other way? I tried entering the statement as the description with no amount & TT is complaining that the amount was left blank.

Thanks for any help,

Scratchin' my head

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Combine the W2s into one entry for TurboTax.  Go back to the "Job (W2)" topic and "Edit" the other (original) W2 from your employer. Add the box 14 info from the 2nd W2 there, selecting the proper box 14 category from the dropdown menu.  

Be sure to delete the extra W2 from TurboTax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies