Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to report that I am working two jobs on my W-2 if I am on leave from one, to work the other?

Hi everyone, I am currently interning for the summer at a new company, and went on leave at my old job for a few months because of the internship. I have not worked both at the same time, but am still technically an employee of the first job during this time. On the internship's W-2 for both state and federal (MN for state) do I have to report I am working two jobs, even though I am only working at the one?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Do I need to report that I am working two jobs on my W-2 if I am on leave from one, to work the other?

I think you mean your W-4--the document you fill out for the employer so the employer will know how much tax to withhold from your paychecks.   You are not the one who fills out a W-2---in January your employer(s) issue W-2's to show how much you earned and how much was withheld for taxes.

Each employer will withhold as if your job with them is your only job.   If you want more -- or less -- tax withheld from your paychecks then you may want to adjust the withholding you want on the W-4 you give to the employers.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/tax-withholding-estimator

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Exactly like the Champ explained, in other words, you don't have to do anything, you will get two W2s at the end of the year anyways, which will obviously be reported in your taxes since technically, you are still on payroll of both jobs, whether on leave or not. As far as by reporting, if you meant informing the other employer (if I am not mistaken), well by law you don't have to, just fill out the W4, which you must have done by now, I am sure.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies