turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

knnthtran

Do I need to include the "Electronic Postmark - Certification of Electronic Filing" and "We need your consent" pages when I am mailing my tax return?

I elected to mail in my completed tax return.  The "Electronic Postmark - Certification of Electronic Filing" and "We need your consent" pages where included in the printout.  Do I need to include this with my tax return when mailing to the IRS?  Thanks.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Do I need to include the "Electronic Postmark - Certification of Electronic Filing" and "We need your consent" pages when I am mailing my tax return?

No. Only mail in the Forms and schedules that support your return. There is a print option to just print the form that the government needs. If you have already filed your return, you may need to reopen your return first.

• Sign in to your TurboTax Online account
  • Select My TurboTax, View My Tax Timeline
  • In the Some things you can do section, click 'Add a State' (you aren't really adding a state this is just a way to reopen your return)

After you reopen your return, you should see print/save my documents icon. Select the icon, and then select 'Print/save/preview this year's return. If you don't see the icon, select My Account, then Print Center.

From your printing options drop down box, select the printing option 'Forms filed with the government'. See attached example.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Do you e-file to IRS without postmark signature and user consent ?  I had incomplete form prepared and never given e-sign or postmark dates, but when I go after 4 years and see previous tax returns in online account, I can see incomplete forms, along with "amend my tax" link --> but I never filed using given account through turbotax ?

@mhnpdl wrote:

Do you e-file to IRS without postmark signature and user consent ?  I had incomplete form prepared and never given e-sign or postmark dates, but when I go after 4 years and see previous tax returns in online account, I can see incomplete forms, along with "amend my tax" link --> but I never filed using given account through turbotax ?

Only the user of the program software can initiate the transmission of a tax return or print the tax return for mailing.  Amended tax returns can only be printed, signed, dated and mailed by the user.

Your accounts for prior tax years are how you left them.  Either filed or not filed.

Awesome, Thanks. That clears my doubt.

What if it's an amended return? Do I need to print and include the electronic postmark page when mailing the amended return?

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

2019 and 2020 Amended returns can be e-filed.  

You can amend e-filed returns if they've been accepted; paper-filed returns may be amended once they've been mailed.

If your e-file is still pending, you won't be able to make changes until the IRS either accepts or rejects it. Don't know your e-file status? Here's how to look it up.

Select your tax year for amending instructions:

I'm amending the 2019 return. The CD version doesn't allow to e-file.

2021-04-16 14_12_38-TurboTax Premier 2019 - 2021-04-14 amended.tax2019.png

If I proceed anyway it gives this error:

2021-04-16 14_12_38-TurboTax Premier 2019 - 2021-04-14 amended.tax2019.png

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

@Taxpayer31337 The IRS is no longer accepting e-file of 2019 tax returns. Go back and change to File by mail. TurboTax will automatically enter a date and not ask you to put one in.

The IRS is backed up. Consider sending your tax return by certified mail with return receipt so you will have proof that the IRS received your return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies