turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I have to file all my w2's? I made less than $10,000 on one w2. Do I still need to file it?

I do not want to get in trouble with the IRS for not filing it but also want to receive as much as possible from my taxes.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Do I have to file all my w2's? I made less than $10,000 on one w2. Do I still need to file it?

Yes, you have to include all income on your tax return.  The IRS also gets a copy of all your W2s, so they will know if you do not file one and will send you a notice.  

Now, if your total income is below certain levels, you are not always required to file a tax return.  For example, if you are single, with no dependents, and are not being claimed as a dependent on another return, then you don't have to file a tax return if you earned income (not investments or self employment) is below $10,350.  However, most people still file tax returns to get their withholding back and it seems like your total income will be above the thresholds.  But, you can find more information about these filing requirements at the link below.

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p554/ch01.html

You must report all your income.  Even $1 of bank interest you don't get a 1099Int for.
sriley100

I have one W-2 for $24K and the other for $11K. Can I just file the one if the other doesn't require reporting?

@sriley100 ALL of your income must be reported on your tax return.   Every W-2 that was issued to you was also reported to the IRS by your employer---with your Social Security number on it.  If the income you report to the IRS does not match then you are going to get a nasty letter---or maybe the IRS will just correct your return and reduce your refund.

ALL of your W-2’s must be entered on the SAME tax return.  

Go to Federal>Wages & Income to enter a W-2.

After you enter the first one, you click Add Another W-2.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies