Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Disaster Distribution

Hi @heavy208 

I have the same problem like you when I entering the number from 2020 tax return, form 8915-E line 9B and enter 1/3 of the amount into 2021 return and it kept telling me to check the 1099-R and the number from line 9 does not flow to the Form 1040, 5B. My tax calculation is still the same not decrease or increase. Can you please advise how you completed it?

Thanks

Disaster Distribution

@kathykenny2005 wrote:

Hi @heavy208 

I have the same problem like you when I entering the number from 2020 tax return, form 8915-E line 9B and enter 1/3 of the amount into 2021 return and it kept telling me to check the 1099-R and the number from line 9 does not flow to the Form 1040, 5B. My tax calculation is still the same not decrease or increase. Can you please advise how you completed it?

Thanks

If the 2020 distribution was from an account that was Not an IRA

Enter 1/3 of the amount from the 2020 distribution in both boxes for Line 9

2020 Form 8915E, line 9, if you checked the box on that line, enter 0

2020 Form 8915E Line 9 

buzzaccount
Returning Member

Disaster Distribution

These are the steps that I followed that worked....

Hi buzzaccount,

DoninGA (Level 15) posted a new reply in Get your taxes done using TurboTax on March 28, 2022 8:45 AM:

Re: Disaster Distribution

@buzzaccount wrote:

I downloaded the latest TT updates today 3/28/22 but the 2019 COVID Form 8915-F is still not available in TT but was supposed to be available 3/24/22.  What is the delay??  I want to get my taxes done now!!!

Click on Forms.  When in Forms mode click on Open Form in the upper left of the screen.  Type in 8915-F.  The form should be selectable.

To complete the Form 8915-F -

You must go to the Retirement Income section of the program for a Form 1099-R to be able to enter your 2nd year of the 2020 distribution -

Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home & Business)

Click on Wages & Income

Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security

On IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R), click on the Start or Update button

On the screen Did you get a 1099-R in 2021? Click on NO, if you did not receive a 2021 Form 1099-R

If you had a Covid-19 related distribution in 2020 and selected to spread the distribution over 3 years -

Answer Yes when asked Have you ever taken a disaster distribution before 2021?

Answer Yes when asked if you took a Qualified 2020 Disaster Distribution

Check the box that this was a Coronavirus-related distribution reported in 2020

In the box 2020 Form 8915-E, line 4, column b - Enter a 0

2020 Form 8915E Line 9 - Enter 1/3 of the amount from the 2020 distribution in both boxes for Line 9

If the 2020 distribution was from an IRA account

2020 Form 8915E Line 17 -  Enter 1/3 of the amount from the 2020 distribution in both boxes for Line 17

Do not enter anything in the other boxes, leave them blank (empty)

The 1/3 of the amount from the 2020 distribution will be entered on the 2021 Form 1040 Line 4b if from an IRA or on Line 5b if from a retirement plan other than an IRA

Disaster Distribution

Hi Hi @heavy208 

Thank you very much for your advise. It works now. I can e-file my tax now.

Rvsan

Disaster Distribution

I withdraw from my 401K in 2020 during Covid and I applied for the disaster distribution which is payable in 3 years. Will Turbo Tax Add the 2nd year automatically?  It does not show anything on  Turbo tax. 

Disaster Distribution

@Rvsan wrote:

I withdraw from my 401K in 2020 during Covid and I applied for the disaster distribution which is payable in 3 years. Will Turbo Tax Add the 2nd year automatically?  It does not show anything on  Turbo tax. 

You must go to the Retirement Income section of the program for a Form 1099-R to be able to enter your 2nd year of the 2020 distribution -

Click on Federal

Click on Wages & Income

Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security

On IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R), click on the Start or Revisit button

On the screen Did you get a 1099-R in 2021? Click on NO, if you did not receive a 2021 Form 1099-R in 2022

Answer Yes when asked Have you ever taken a disaster distribution before 2021?

Answer Yes when asked if you took a Qualified 2020 Disaster Distribution

Check the box that this was a Coronavirus-related distribution reported in 2020

In the box 2020 Form 8915-E, line 4, column b - Leave blank or enter a 0

This is not required on a Form 8915-F for a Coronavirus-related distribution

Enter 1/3 of the amount from the 2020 distribution in both boxes for Line 9

2020 Form 8915E, line 9, if you checked the box on that line, enter 0

2020 Form 8915E Line 9 

If the 2020 distribution was from an IRA account

Enter 1/3 of the amount from the 2020 distribution in both boxes for Line 17

2020 Form 8915E, line 17, if you checked the box on that line, enter 0

2020 Form 8915E Line 17 

Do not enter anything in the other boxes, leave them blank (empty) or enter a 0

The 1/3 of the amount from the 2020 distribution will be entered on the 2021 Form 1040 Line 4b if from an IRA or on Line 5b if from a retirement plan other than an IRA

After completing the Wages & Income section you will land on a screen Did you take a disaster distribution at any time between 2018 and 2020?

Answer NO since you have already completed the entering the 1/3 of the 2020 distribution.

You can view your Form 1040 at any time using the online editions. Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

Using the desktop editions click on Forms.  Open the Form 1040

You should not receive the "Needs Review" in the Federal Review section if -

You Leave blank or enter a 0 in the box for 2020 Form 8915-E, line 4, column b

MayaD
Expert Alumni

Disaster Distribution

No. you need to enter the information. Form 8915-F is used to report a disaster-related retirement distribution (including COVID-related distributions) and any repayments of those funds. For Tax Year 2021, Form 8915-F replaced Form 8915-E.

1. In the search box, type 1099-r, then Jump to 1099-r
  2. On the next screen, select No if you did not receive a 1099-R in 2021
  3. On the next screen, select Yes to Have you ever taken a disaster distribution before 2021?
  4. Select Yes, I took a disaster distribution between 2017 and 2020 on the next screen.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
GoLakers

Disaster Distribution

I started entering my tax information BEFORE March 24, 2021, when Turbo Tax said they would make the new 8915-F available for Pension/401K Distribution in 2020.  I had the same issue where Turbo Tax recognized my 1/3 Pension/401K in year 2020, but kept applying the remaining 2/3's to year 2021.  I went over the instructions by the EXPERTS on this thread SEVERAL TIMES, and could never get the 2021 to show 1/3 of the total Pension/401K Distribution I took in 2020.  If you have the same problem FIRST, do the instructions given by the EXPERT on this Reply Thread.  Then look at a copy of your returns (Print Copy menu on TT) and look at line 5b on your 1040 Form.  Is the amount 1/3 of your Pension Distribution taken in 2020?  If so, then you're okay to proceed.  If it remains at 2/3 the amount of your 2020 Pension Distribution AFTER you followed the EXPERT's instructions like I did, then the only solution I found is to START A NEW RETURN and re-enter all your information.  This worked for me.  I suspect that those people (like me) who started their returns BEFORE form 8915 was updated in Turbo Tax (March 24???), then there's a possible bug in the system which applies 2/3 of the Pension Distribution to your 2021 Return, rather than the 1/3.  I suspect if you entered in your info AFTER the form has been updated (after March 24/28th???), then you didn't encounter the problems the rest of did and your issue is following the instructions given by the EXPERT on this thread.  Hope this helps out everyone.

GoLakers

Disaster Distribution

I started entering my tax information BEFORE March 24, 2021, when Turbo Tax said they would make the new 8915-F available for Pension/401K Distribution in 2020.  I had the same issue where Turbo Tax recognized my 1/3 Pension/401K in year 2020, but kept applying the remaining 2/3's to year 2021.  I went over the instructions by the EXPERTS on this thread SEVERAL TIMES, and could never get the 2021 to show 1/3 of the total Pension/401K Distribution I took in 2020.  If you have the same problem FIRST, do the instructions given by the EXPERT on this Reply Thread.  Then look at a copy of your returns (Print Copy menu on TT) and look at line 5b on your 1040 Form.  Is the amount 1/3 of your Pension Distribution taken in 2020?  If so, then you're okay to proceed.  If it remains at 2/3 the amount of your 2020 Pension Distribution AFTER you followed the EXPERT's instructions like I did, then the only solution I found is to START A NEW RETURN and re-enter all your information.  This worked for me.  I suspect that those people (like me) who started their returns BEFORE form 8915 was updated in Turbo Tax (March 24???), then there's a possible bug in the system which applies 2/3 of the Pension Distribution to your 2021 Return, rather than the 1/3.  I suspect if you entered in your info AFTER the form has been updated (after March 24/28th???), then you didn't encounter the problems the rest of did and your issue is following the instructions given by the EXPERT on this thread.  Hope this helps out everyone

Disaster Distribution

I tried the procedure but when I finish with Wages & Income the screen With the option to check or uncheck th Disaster Distribution box does not come up on screen. also I cant uncheck that option when the review shows what's wrong.

What should I do?

JTLUV08

Disaster Distribution

ITS ASKING TO CHECK A BOX OR UNCHECK NEITHER WORKS IT WANT LET ME SUBMIT ITS KEEP SAYING TO FIX THAT. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

dmertz
Level 15

Disaster Distribution

With regard to an earlier question, a Coronavirus-Related Distribution is indeed a type of disaster distribution.

Each year TurboTax must update Form 8915-F before a tax return that requires this for to be filed.  Form 8915-F is typically one of the later forms to be updated and as of January 19, 2023 has not yet been updated in 2022 TurboTax.

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

Disaster Distribution

It appears the IRS finalized Form 8915-F recently.  This form is expected to be ready for filing in TurboTax on 2/16/2023.  

Reference:  When will my individual tax forms be available in TurboTax?

kaylah23
Returning Member

Disaster Distribution

I didn't take a disaster distribution but it keeps having the box checked when i go to review my federal. I talked to a live agent and they said the support team would have the issue fixed in 24-48 hours but i am confused why I am running imto this problem.

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Disaster Distribution

Did you take the covid-related distribution in 2020, and chose to have it spread out over three years?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies