Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hmckee157

Did my payment with the Indiana DOR not process? On my end it says it was accepted so everything was good. However, I received this letter that says otherwise...

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Did my payment with the Indiana DOR not process? On my end it says it was accepted so everything was good. However, I received this letter that says otherwise...

On your end, "accepted" means your tax return was accepted for processing.  It does not mean they accepted your payment or received your payment of tax due.  How did you pay?  If you expected to pay from a federal refund, that is impossible.  Most states want you to pay with a check or money order, or by going on the state's own tax web site and paying with a credit/debit card.  If you have no bank/credit card records showing that you paid, then you still need to pay your state tax.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Accepted means the electronically filed tax return was received by the state tax authority without errors that would have caused the return to be rejected.  It does not mean that a payment was received by the state.

In the File section of the TurboTax program in Step 2 there were several options on how to pay the state taxes owed.  How you chose to pay the taxes will be shown in the Filing Instructions page for the state tax return.  Note that payment of taxes owed from a tax refund, Federal or State, is Never an option.

If you do not have a cancelled check, bank or credit card statement showing the taxes paid then no payment was processed by the state.

Review the State Filing Instructions page -

When you sign onto your online account and land on the Tax Home web page, scroll down and click on Add a state. 

Add a State 2018.JPG

This will take you back to the 2018 online tax return.

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen. Then click on Print Center. Then click on Print, save or preview this year's return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies