turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

djstroms

Daughter a student in college in Washington Jan-June. She worked in New Jersey April-October. I supported her living in Missouri. What state(s) to file tax return?

She worked a seasonal job and doesn't intend to stay in New Jersey.  She is still on the school's roles as she intended to remotely finish final course work (but didn't last year).  She anticipates diploma this March after taking CLEP exams.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Fern

Daughter a student in college in Washington Jan-June. She worked in New Jersey April-October. I supported her living in Missouri. What state(s) to file tax return?

If you are claiming your daughter as a dependent, her state of residence is considered Missouri.  She would file a non-resident return for New Jersey and a resident return for Missouri. If she had no earnings in Washington, she does not need to file a tax return there. As a college student, her permanent address is her state of residence.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Fern

If you are claiming your daughter as a dependent, her state of residence is considered Missouri.  She would file a non-resident return for New Jersey and a resident return for Missouri. If she had no earnings in Washington, she does not need to file a tax return there. As a college student, her permanent address is her state of residence.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies