turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I handle filing 1099-MISC for LLC contractor who forgot to fill out federal tax classification on W9?

Trying to file a 1099-MISC for a guy who I contracted for video work. He sent me a W9, with LLC/EIN listed, but forgot to check the appropriate tax status. 

I'm obviously contacting him for a correction and leaving a record of such, but I've heard that depending on the type of LLC (C-corp, S-corp, P, D), this changes how I file his income with the IRS.

Should I continue to proceed, treat him as a contractor warranting a 1099-MISC and file it anyway? Deadline's in a few days. Thanks, all for your help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

How do I handle filing 1099-MISC for LLC contractor who forgot to fill out federal tax classification on W9?

If he's not incorporated, he should have given you his Social Security Number. I would try to get that information from him before the 1/31 deadline, but if I didn't get it, I'd file with the EIN, even though you ordinarily wouldn't need to submit a 1099 for a corporation, because that's all you have.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

If he's not incorporated, he should have given you his Social Security Number. I would try to get that information from him before the 1/31 deadline, but if I didn't get it, I'd file with the EIN, even though you ordinarily wouldn't need to submit a 1099 for a corporation, because that's all you have.

Yeah, when in doubt, I'd rather they have something than nothing. So, if he's an LLC-C or LLC-S, he doesn't get a form? And if he isn't (sole proprietor or disregarded), then I should request an SSN?
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

Correct!

Thanks so much!
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

My pleasure!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies