- To claim head of household, do I have to meet all requirements? I have primary custody of my daughter and have her more than half the year. My girlfriend who I live with pays over half the bills on our house, but she doesn't have any children.
Am I Head of Household?
If you qualify as Head of Household, when you enter your filing status (single or married filing separately) into Personal Info, and then enter your qualifying dependent, TurboTax will offer HOH as your filing status.
Can I file head of house my daughter and her 3boys live with me for the pass year,she claims them but I'm taking care if them all. So can I file HOH while she claim them
No, you cannot claim any of them, your daughter or her children, as a dependent on your tax return if your daughter is claiming her children on her tax return. If you cannot claim anyone as a dependent then you are not eligible for Head of Household filing status.
Ok thank you, but if I claim one of the boys will that be acceptable .
If your daughter is entitled to claim her children as dependents on her tax return under the Qualifying Child rules then only she can claim the children, no one else.
To be a Qualifying Child -
1. The child must be your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant of any of them.
2. The child must be (a) under age 19 at the end of the year, (b) under age 24 at the end of the year and a full-time student or (c) any age and permanently and totally disabled.
3. The child must have lived with you for more than half of the year. Temporary absences while away at college are considered living with you.
4. The child must not have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year.
5. If the child meets the rules to be a qualifying child of more than one person, you must be the person entitled to claim the child as a qualifying child.
6. The child must be a U.S. citizen or U.S., Canada or Mexico resident for some portion of the year.
7. The child must be younger than you unless disabled.