turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I see where the tax is automatically calculated & plugged into Box 11a. How can I see the supporting detail within Turbo Tax of how that actual tax was calculated?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I see where the tax is automatically calculated & plugged into Box 11a. How can I see the supporting detail within Turbo Tax of how that actual tax was calculated?

I'll tell you how to open the return back up to see how TurboTax calculated your tax.  You can also download the worksheets while you are in there.  

NOTE:  Some users are getting a message that they can't get back into their return because TurboTax is telling them it is "too early to amend."   This process is NOT amending, so report back if you get that message.  Whatever you do, do NOT click on any link that says "Amend (change) a return."

• Log in and at the Tax Home either scroll down to the section "Your Tax Returns & Documents" or in the left menu column you can click on "Previous Taxes" to get there.
  • Expand that section and choose tax year 2018.
  • Look for a link in that section "Add a state."  (You won't really add one; that's just to open the return.)
  • NOTE:  When you open your return, do NOT make any changes in it, since it's already been filed.
  • Once the return is open, click in left menu column on TAX TOOLS, then TOOLS.
  • In the Tools window choose View Tax Summary.
  • At the tax summary screen go back to the left menu column and choose Preview My 1040. That will open the 1040 Worksheet.
  • On the 1040 worksheet scroll down and between Lines 10 and 11 there will be a Tax Smart Worksheet telling you what method was used for your calculation.

And since you will have your return open, here's how to get larger PDFs with the worksheets, if desired:

• Close the 1040 Worksheet by clicking BACK in the left menu column.
  • Then click in the left menu column on TAX TOOLS, then PRINT CENTER.
  • Then choose "Print, save, view this year's return."
  • The next screen should offer 3 options:  "Just my tax returns", or "include government worksheets (optional)", or "include government and TurboTax worksheets (optional.)"

NOTE:  Do NOT use this method to open a return to make changes/edits to an already-filed return (one that has actually been mailed or efiled.)   If you later need to make changes to an already-filed return, you have to go through the formal amending process, and your return must start off exactly as originally filed.

NOTE:  Remember all PDF tax documents and tax data files are very sensitive files, since they contain your personal ID info, financial data, and possibly bank account numbers, etc.  Be sure to store them safely and securely to guard against computer theft, hacking, etc.

View solution in original post

13 Replies

Have you already filed, or are you still able to get back to the return interview?

I already filed. It seemed odd no sub-detail ever appeared or was included within final docs. Please advise
cjhowar71

the answer below lets you see overall return detail, but still does not show source of number in box 11a

@cjhowar71
Yes, it does.  That's why the answer was provided, and why the threadowner was pleased.  When you open the return back up and use the steps I provided to get to "Preview My 1040" to view the Form 1040 Worksheet,  between lines 10 and 11 is a Tax Smart Worksheet.   There are 13 components to that Tax Smart Worksheet that shows where the Line 11a came from.    And on that worksheet Line 11 itself can have a couple of additional possibilities.   I can post a screen image if needed.
cjhowar71

You have to go to page 79 of the IRS “tax computation worksheet” for the method & details behind the number. It is NOT anywhere in TurboTax

@cjhowar71
That's correct.  The actual "Tax Computation Worksheet" is not displayed in TurboTax.   In your original comment, you asked for "source of the number in box 11a."     My answer below tells how to find the source of the number in Line 11a.  Maybe you're looking for something in more depth than what the original threadowner wanted.   

I can post a screen image that will show you how to view the source of the number on Line 11a.   The "Tax Computation Worksheet" you mentioned is only one of many ways TurboTax can calculate the Line 11a tax, depending on the situations in the return.  Not everyone uses the Tax Computation Worksheet--only certain filers.

Perhaps you actually want more than the source?  Maybe you want to see the actual math?    If it turns out your return used the Tax Computation Worksheet, you won't be able to see the underlying math in TurboTax since that worksheet does not display.

The Tax Smart Worksheet I described in my answer will tell you "which" method TurboTax used.   Watch for my screen image, which I'll post below, since I can't post it in a comment.

When you go to the section I show in the screen image, in the Tax Smart Worksheet what is displayed for the source of your Line 11a amount?

I'll tell you how to open the return back up to see how TurboTax calculated your tax.  You can also download the worksheets while you are in there.  

NOTE:  Some users are getting a message that they can't get back into their return because TurboTax is telling them it is "too early to amend."   This process is NOT amending, so report back if you get that message.  Whatever you do, do NOT click on any link that says "Amend (change) a return."

• Log in and at the Tax Home either scroll down to the section "Your Tax Returns & Documents" or in the left menu column you can click on "Previous Taxes" to get there.
  • Expand that section and choose tax year 2018.
  • Look for a link in that section "Add a state."  (You won't really add one; that's just to open the return.)
  • NOTE:  When you open your return, do NOT make any changes in it, since it's already been filed.
  • Once the return is open, click in left menu column on TAX TOOLS, then TOOLS.
  • In the Tools window choose View Tax Summary.
  • At the tax summary screen go back to the left menu column and choose Preview My 1040. That will open the 1040 Worksheet.
  • On the 1040 worksheet scroll down and between Lines 10 and 11 there will be a Tax Smart Worksheet telling you what method was used for your calculation.

And since you will have your return open, here's how to get larger PDFs with the worksheets, if desired:

• Close the 1040 Worksheet by clicking BACK in the left menu column.
  • Then click in the left menu column on TAX TOOLS, then PRINT CENTER.
  • Then choose "Print, save, view this year's return."
  • The next screen should offer 3 options:  "Just my tax returns", or "include government worksheets (optional)", or "include government and TurboTax worksheets (optional.)"

NOTE:  Do NOT use this method to open a return to make changes/edits to an already-filed return (one that has actually been mailed or efiled.)   If you later need to make changes to an already-filed return, you have to go through the formal amending process, and your return must start off exactly as originally filed.

NOTE:  Remember all PDF tax documents and tax data files are very sensitive files, since they contain your personal ID info, financial data, and possibly bank account numbers, etc.  Be sure to store them safely and securely to guard against computer theft, hacking, etc.

@craigrrose
Just curious if you were able to get back into your return OK, in light of some users encountering that roadblock I mentioned.
Since you recommended the answer, I assume (at least hoping) that you got back in OK.

Hello, "epo39b".   Yes, you truly are a super-user, and your incredibly detailed directions worked perfectly. I was able to get back in and secure all the detailed specific worksheets that helped explain all calculations thoroughly. I really appreciate all your help, and you are a true asset to Turbo Tax and their support help initiatives. Many, Many thanks!

Great news!   You're lucky you were not one of the affected ones.    You're welcome!  Good luck.

cjhowar71:

The Tax Smart Worksheet I described in my other answer will tell you "which" method TurboTax used.   See screen image below.

When you go to the section I show in the screen image, in the Tax Smart Worksheet what is displayed for the source of your Line 11a amount?

The "Tax Computation Worksheet" you mentioned is only one of many ways TurboTax can calculate the Line 11a tax, depending on the situations in the return.  Not everyone uses the Tax Computation Worksheet--only certain filers.

If it turns out your return used the Tax Computation Worksheet, you won't be able to see the underlying math in TurboTax since that worksheet does not display.
cjhowar71

Yes, that’s what I just explained

Great!  Then we are on the same wavelength.  The threadowner didn't ask for that particular worksheet, presumably because his return used one of the other methods.
Manage cookies