turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gcarlos63
Returning Member

Child did not check box that says they can be claimed as a dependent

My Daughter filed her taxes and forgot to check the box that says that someone else can claim her as a dependent. Now when I go to file my taxes it was rejected. I know that my daughter now has to now send in an amendment but what do I do now? Do I file and not claim her so that I do not file late? then later file for amendment to add her in? Also I read somewhere here that after being rejected I cannot efile. That I must print and sign forms in. is this correct?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Yes. You can claim her and will have to mail your return with an explanation that your daughter will be amending her return to say that someone can claim her. 

gcarlos63
Returning Member

on the 1040x form that she fills out, there is no place to amend that she can be claimed as a dependent. Do we just write it in part 3 and explain?

@gcarlos63 wrote:

on the 1040x form that she fills out, there is no place to amend that she can be claimed as a dependent. Do we just write it in part 3 and explain?

Click on My Info and edit the personal information.  There is a selection for indicate that they are a dependent.

Klcelotto

Where do you append this on the paper copy ? There is no section on the paper copy to check indicating they are to be claimed by someone else 

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

We'd love to help you complete your tax return, but need more information. Can you please clarify your question? You are posting on an old thread. Are you filing an original return or amending a return already filed and accepted?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ee-ea
Level 15

@Klcelotto 

See

Standard
Deduction

area on form

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040.pdf

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies