or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gcarlos63
Returning Member

Child did not check box that says they can be claimed as a dependent

My Daughter filed her taxes and forgot to check the box that says that someone else can claim her as a dependent. Now when I go to file my taxes it was rejected. I know that my daughter now has to now send in an amendment but what do I do now? Do I file and not claim her so that I do not file late? then later file for amendment to add her in? Also I read somewhere here that after being rejected I cannot efile. That I must print and sign forms in. is this correct?

3 Replies
Bsch4477
Level 15

Yes. You can claim her and will have to mail your return with an explanation that your daughter will be amending her return to say that someone can claim her. 

gcarlos63
Returning Member

on the 1040x form that she fills out, there is no place to amend that she can be claimed as a dependent. Do we just write it in part 3 and explain?

DoninGA
Level 15

@gcarlos63 wrote:

on the 1040x form that she fills out, there is no place to amend that she can be claimed as a dependent. Do we just write it in part 3 and explain?

Click on My Info and edit the personal information.  There is a selection for indicate that they are a dependent.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v