turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

RESOLVED AFTER MANY CALLS: Cannot reinstall/download CD product on second computer

(This is edited for clarity so it can help other users, thanks. I was finally able to download both Windows and Mac versions.)

Hello, I bought a TurboTax Deluxe 2020 CD on Amazon last week and installed it on my Windows desktop computer via a CD drive using the license code on the CD jacket. At the time, it did NOT ask me to create an account nor ask me to sign in to my existing account.

Now, I'm trying to download the software to my laptop (which doesn't have a CD drive) -- via the InstallTurboTax website. When I input my license code, it says: "This license code has already been associated with an account. Please check that account and look for it in Downloads."

However, this license code isn't showing up in my account -- likely because I wasn't asked to sign in to my account when installing the CD on my desktop.

I've researched this problem online and searched this forum haven't found viable solutions. TT only points to the process I've already tried out above without success -- it generates the same error message about license code associated with another account.

I tried to put in a help desk ticket on the TurboTax website, but it allows only 2-3 lines -- so wasn't able to explain my situation!

Maybe I shouldn't have installed the CD on my desktop via the CD drive, which didn't give a prompt to sign into my account.

How can I remedy this situation, short of uninstalling from my desktop? Not sure if that would help.

Any advice is deeply appreciated. Thanks, in advance!! Happy and healthy new year!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

45 Replies

RESOLVED AFTER MANY CALLS: Cannot reinstall/download CD product on second computer

The same exact thing happened to me.  I posted but the only reply I got was to call support.  I haven't called yet.  Maybe next week when they are open.  If you hear anything good or bad please post back.

Thanks, I will post any updates after I call.

Are you trying here?  Contact Customer Service

(You need to pick the CD/Download program in the product drop down box.) 
5am-5pm Pacific Time Monday -Friday
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

What is the Turbo Tax phone number
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

I did try that link an hour ago, but I could only write up to 170 characters, so couldn't explain my problem in length. Haven't gotten an answer yet.

No.  That's to call in.  So you don't have to write a long question there.  But they are closed.  Didn't you get this far?

5B300405-626A-4C34-85AC-48AB83882DA5.png

No, I hadn't reach that far. But found the number:  [phone number removed]. Will call on Monday and report back.

If you call, too, please update us, thanks.

@San Diego   Any updates?  Did you call in?  

Rtlemezis

I am having same issue.  Please post if you get solution. Thanks

RESOLVED Fully -- after spending far too much time over 3 calls!! The only way to get this issue fixed is by calling TurboTax several times -- and hopefully get a knowledgeable or determined customer service representative (CSR)! 

This process is extremely inconvenient. It would be very hard for average people like my parents to figure out this process. I am taking the time to write out all the details in the hope that TurboTax can use it to improve its customer experience and maybe include this info in its FAQs.

Problem: I wanted to install the software on 3 computers (2 Windows and one Macbook), like I do every year, using 3 of the 5 downloads that are included with the purchase of a Deluxe State 2020 disc. Since 2020, TT discs have a license code (probably to track the usage) that can be connected to your online Intuit account. That enabled me last year to download the software on 3 computers without using the disc or needed an external disc drive. But not this year. 

The initial problem was twofold: (a) the 2020 Deluxe State disc purchase was NOT showing up on my Intuit account under downloads, and (b) my license number was showing as “already activated” when I tried to add it to my account.

1st CSR call was 1 hour, 30 minutes, on Friday, January 8: The CSR was very professional and determined to help. Initially, neither she nor her supervisor could find an answer to this issue in the TurboTax database -- which is not user-friendly for a company this large and an issue that’s common.

After jumping through several hoops and putting me on hold for long periods of time, the agent was finally able to add a Windows Download to my account, which sent me an email about asking me to download it -- it showed up as “a new order” under a new license code -- for $0. They she had to go to the back and associate my original license code to the new one she added on my account.

I was able to download it OK, but when when I tried to do my taxes the following week, I discovered that it was only the federal product -- it did not include the California version that I had activated with the disc on my first computer. But I I was too frustrated with TurboTax, so didn’t want to take it out on a contract worker (they are people doing second jobs for TurboTax help line and don’t have any tax experience).

I tried to call back a couple of times during the week, but faced hold times of over an hour, so left my phone number for a call back. However, I was in work meetings when they called back.

2nd call was 15 minutes on Sunday, Jan. 17: I got a CSR who seemed to be aware of the issue. In order to save time, I gave him a short, succinct account of my problem and said I needed only the California download. So instead of having to ask me all the basic technical questions, he opted to skip those steps and was able to add it as yet another new free order -- but no new license code this time. He asked me to shut down the software on my laptop and then download from that new state link on my account, which then added the California product to the federal product on my PC. He waited till I could see that it worked.

However, this is just the Windows version.

But he said couldn’t add the Mac version (which I had done last year for my brother), and insisted that my purchase allows only for one platform -- which is not true. I told him to check my account so he could see both Windows and Mac downloads of the 2019 version, but he didn’t have access to it, probably because he’s not a TT employee. He said I could mail the disc to him, but he'd have to get an external disc drive to install it.

3rd call, 35 minutes on Monday, Jan. 18: I called again to see if another representative would know better -- and I lucked out. He was able to add the Mac download to my account after associated two sets of numbers near the barcode of the external package of the CD. It generated yet another license code.

But it took a long time because he still had to do a lot of stuff on the back end of the database.

All the CSRs were professional and helpful. But so much of their and my time wasted -- I am not a happy TurboTax customer! 

Some tips for users:
1) Phone customer service does work, so be patient! The TurboTax phone line is now open on weekends as well -- from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. Pacific time.

2) Calling TT would be better on weekends when you can either get an agent quickly or be available when they call you back. Be prepared with all your details + save your box/package.

3) If you bought a disc, try to install NOT with the disc but by going the download-from-your-account route fully (not sure if it will work -- but that's what I did last year and will try in the future). 

That means log into your existing Intuit/Turbotax account (or create a new one), add your license code to the account, and then see if it populates the Windows and Mac federal + state downloads included in your purchase. After that, it should be easy to activate it on multiple computers (of course, for 5 downloads only).

4) Otherwise, you'll need to have access to a CD/DVD drive.

Hope this helps you, @Rtlemezis and @VolvoGirl . Sorry it took me a while to report back, but you can see it took a while.

I tried to download the software from the website directly without using the CD for a single time, however, it shows "This license code has already been associated with an account. Please check that account and look for it in Downloads." anyway. So it doesn't matter whether you have installed the CD or not, it does simply not work. 

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

@zhangni2012 Please reach out to TurboTax Customer Support as your license issue would be best resolved with one-on-one support. Please visit the Contact Us  page and select your product to get you to the right person.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It’s extremely bad customer service on the part of TurboTax that despite this being a known issue, it isn't willing train its representatives to provide a quick solution for loyal customers. Maybe the company trying to push people toward doing their tax returns online in which they pay per return (which is more profitable to the unhelpful company) instead of buying a disc that can be used for 5 returns (which is more beneficial to the customer).

Here’s a quick tip I spotted on another thread about this issue – wish I had tried this first before spending hours with TT reps.

TIP: The user made a copy of the program files from the install CD and shared it via Dropbox. Her brother was able to download them and install (run setup.exe) using the existing license code that came with the original purchase.

If this doesn't work, then you'll probably have to make long and multiple calls to TT customer service to get them to issue free, replacement license codes to correct their glitch. If you get an agent who doesn’t understand or can't help, hang up and call again to get a better rep.

One user said this: “Currently, getting a download pushed to you by Customer Support AND a new license code is the only workaround. Simply getting the download without a new license code just repeats the error.”

TurboTax phone contact: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turb[product key removed]r/00/2563...

I have the same problem, unable to download on a Windows laptop. I initially installed using the CD on a Mac, now want to have my son use the Premium program on his laptop. It doesn't allow a new download. Don't really want to spend so much time on the phone as San Diego did. So disappointed in the level of support for such a simple issue.  

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

If you are having trouble downloading the program, please click here to contact customer support. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies