turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Aprilcul32
Returning Member

Can you tell me why you advertise free tax filing when clearly it's not free at all and the website doesn't direct you to freefile.com so why do you say it's free???

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Aprilcul32
Returning Member

Can you tell me why you advertise free tax filing when clearly it's not free at all and the website doesn't direct you to freefile.com so why do you say it's free???

I used no extra forms my taxes were literally simple I did them myself no extras no credits no penilties??? So again what was I charged for? You literally took almost half of what I even got back and charged me an additional $40 to take it out of my return now I know why alot of people said use h&r block it's actually FREE!!!!!

This is a user community forum, not a direct route to TurboTax Support.  I'll tell you how to talk to TurboTax Support at the end of this posting, but first I'll explain your situation.   It would have been easier if you had asked this question before paying so you could have been guided to one of the free products.  

TurboTax has 2 free products--the regular Free Edition for simple returns, and the TurboTax IRS Free File program, a fully-featured product, if you meet one of the qualifications.  But you are not in one of them.  You appear to be using Online Deluxe, which is a paid version--$60 for Federal and $50 for state (if applicable), and if you choose to pay the fees out of your Federal refund, there is an additional $40 service fee ($45 for California filers.)

The regular Free Edition is for very simple returns and not everyone can use it.  Certain forms are not available in Free Edition and require an upgrade to Deluxe, such as one of Schedules 1-3, itemized deductions, education credits, student loan interest, retirement savers credit, etc.   Did you start in Free Edition and had to upgrade?

FAQ:  Why do I have to upgrade from Free Edition?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/upgrading/help/why-do-i-have-to-upgrade-from-free-edition/00/26379

The other free product (TurboTax IRS Free File Program) is fully-featured and can prepare all the usual forms and schedules without any upgrades, if one qualifies.  It is even more powerful than Deluxe.  For example, in addition to Schedules 1-3 it can prepare Schedule C, D, E, F, etc., and enter K-1. But one has to meet one of the qualifications to use.  See below:

To qualify for free 2019 federal and state tax returns through the IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax, you just need to meet one of these requirements:

• Your 2019 household AGI is $36,000 or less; or
      • You qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC); or
      • In 2019, you served as active duty military (including Reservists and National Guard) with a maximum AGI of $69,000, and you have a military-issued W-2.

If you think you would have qualified for one of those free products, phone TurboTax Support, tell them you qualified and ended up in the wrong product by mistake.   I don't know what they will say or do, but it can't hurt to try.    Since you paid for Deluxe, you do have phone support included.

Support hours are 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern), 7 days/week

FAQ: What is the TurboTax phone number?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies