linus1103

Can you help me? I received an email telling me My email was found on the dark web. What do I do now?

Can Turbo Tax help me? IDnotify emailed me that You can help me find out what the dark web said about me and my email. 

Why do you think anyone at TurboTax knows about something regarding your email on the dark web?   And why did you just try to post your email on this public website?   This website can be seen by anyone using the internet including scammers and identity thieves who would love to contact you and pretend to be from TurboTax.   The filter removed your email address for your protection.

mesquitebean

Who was the email purportedly from?    In a user forum we members of the community won't know if an email is legitimate or a scam.  You should treat it with caution until that's determined.  So don't click on any links or download any attachment until you get more info and can verify the legitimacy of the email. 

I'm wondering if it is this:

Did you purchase any add-on package, such as MAX Benefits or Premium Services Bundle?  (the latter is for California filers).   If so, those add-ons include ID theft monitoring services from IDnotify in addition to the audit defense features.

FAQ:  Who is IDnotify and what is their relationship to TurboTax?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/intuit-product-orders/idnotify-relations...

If you need help from TurboTax Support, here's how to reach them:

FAQ: What is the TurboTax phone number?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Mike9241

e-mail from whom?  it could be a scam to get you to reveal personal info. anyway, I doubt Turbotax has access to the dark web and therefore it is unlikely the e-mail came from Turbotax 

mesquitebean

@ linus1103 

This is a public Internet forum, and you posted your email address in your question, and the forum privacy filter "tried" to remove your email address from your posting, but since it was an email link, it's still possible to read it if one hovers their mouse cursor over the link.  You can remove it by editing your question.   To do that, click the tiny blue 3-dot icon just to the right of your question and choosing Edit and remove the entire email link.    I'll also leave a note for a Moderator who can remove it from your question.

Again we have no way of knowing if the email you received is legitimate or not.   If your email was from IDnotify (i.e., if you purchased MAX Benefits, Premium Services), you'll likely need to contact IDnotify, a division of Experian, for more info.    If you purchased the optional add-on MAX or Premium Services, did you ever receive an initial email after you filed your return with information about IDnotify?

linus1103

I received this email from IDnotify.

linus1103

Email came to me from IDnotify.

@linus1103 wrote:

Email came to me from IDnotify.

Log onto your IDnotify account - https://www.idnotify.com/