Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can we upgrade to Premier when we have already ordered and received the Deluxe CD?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can we upgrade to Premier when we have already ordered and received the Deluxe CD?

You can upgrade the Deluxe desktop edition if needed but there is no requirement to since every desktop edition has all the same forms, schedules and worksheets.

With the Deluxe desktop edition opened and a tax return started, click on the link Upgrade TurboTax in the lower right corner of the program screen.

View solution in original post

43 Replies

Thanks @DoninGA - Do you or anyone know if this the same for 2018 version?  I'm not seeing it yet.

(I'm using the Desktop via download)

It is the same with the 2018 desktop editions

Thank you!

You can upgrade the Deluxe desktop edition if needed but there is no requirement to since every desktop edition has all the same forms, schedules and worksheets.

With the Deluxe desktop edition opened and a tax return started, click on the link Upgrade TurboTax in the lower right corner of the program screen.

We sold stocks and I did not know if the Deluxe version would walk us through the steps for reporting that income.

I used the basic version and it told me to use Deluxe, but when I used deluxe it wanted to charge another $24.99 for the first state and $44.99 for the second state.  That was not well indicated, and would not purchase Intuit Software again because of that kind of misleading recommendation!

I bought the Deluxe CD which includes 5 Federal e-files.  I have installed it and there is an upgrade option to Premier for $30.  Will the $30 upgrade all 5 Federal returns to Premier?

Will the $30 upgrade all 5 Federal returns to Premier?  Yes ... all returns completed with the Premier version will be the same. 

But the real question is WHY do you need/want to upgrade the program.   The CD Deluxe version can handle ALL tax forms and ALL tax situations just the same as the higher priced version.  So unless you need extra guidance in the investment or rental section there is no reason to upgrade to a higher version.   It is like buying a car ... the chevy and cadillac will both get you where you need to go but they simply look different.  

I bought Premier CD 2018 last year and it has a section to enter Investment Income (1099-B) info.

I bought Deluxe CD 2019 this year and installed it.  I cannot find a section to enter Investment Income.  

So that is why I am considering the $30 online upgrade to Premier.

So the CD allows 5 federal returns.  The upgrade will upgrade the return I am working on.  What I want to know is if the other 4 returns will also be upgraded to Premier automatically?

If not I will attempt to return the Deluxe package and purchase the Premier package.

@RockFox wrote:

I bought Premier CD 2018 last year and it has a section to enter Investment Income (1099-B) info.

I bought Deluxe CD 2019 this year and installed it.  I cannot find a section to enter Investment Income.  

So that is why I am considering the $30 online upgrade to Premier.

So the CD allows 5 federal returns.  The upgrade will upgrade the return I am working on.  What I want to know is if the other 4 returns will also be upgraded to Premier automatically?

If not I will attempt to return the Deluxe package and purchase the Premier package.

To enter an investment sale from a brokerage account (1099-B), follow the steps below.

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Under Investment Income
  • On Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other, click the start or update button

Or enter investment sales in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to investment sales

When you upgrade the software using the desktop CD/Download editions, ALL tax returns you create will use the upgraded software.  The software supports 5 free federal e-files regardless of which edition is used.  Once 5 tax returns have been e-filed all further tax returns completed would have to be printed and mailed.

If you upgrade to Premier you are upgrading the software for everything, not just one return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
gloria223

if do the upgrade now after i have used all my 5  tax returns on elfile =. would i get 5 more.

Sorry no.  That won't work.  5 efiles is an IRS limit.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies