turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I Still Receive Money if I am being Claimed as a Dependent?

This last year (2018) I was living with my parents. I was employed part time from May 2018 to November 2018, and full time employed from September 2018 to the end of the year. My parents still wish to claim me as a dependent, however I moved out around February of this year (2019) and wonder if I can still get *something* back even though they are claiming me as a dependent. Is that possible? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies

If you are age 19 or older and Not a full time student, you can only be claimed as a dependent if your gross income is less than $4,150 in 2018.  If your gross income for 2018 was $4,150 or more then no one can claim you as a dependent.

If you were under the age of 19 or a full time student under the age of 24, then you may be able to be claimed as a dependent under the Qualifying Child rules if you meet all the requirements under the rules.

To be a Qualifying Child -

1. The child must be your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant of any of them.
2. The child must be (a) under age 19 at the end of the year, (b) under age 24 at the end of the year and a full-time student or (c) any age and permanently and totally disabled.
3. The child must have lived with you for more than half of the year. Temporary absences while away at college are considered living with you.
4. The child must not have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year.
5. If the child meets the rules to be a qualifying child of more than one person, you must be the person entitled to claim the child as a qualifying child.
6. The child must be a U.S. citizen or U.S., Canada or Mexico resident for some portion of the year.
7. The child must be younger than you unless disabled.

Additionally, regardless if you are being claimed as a dependent or not you can still file a tax return and receive a tax refund of the taxes withheld from your wages, if you are eligible for a tax refund.

I turned 19 on January of 2019, does that rule still apply or because I was 18 on the last day of 2018 can they still claim me? I also earned more than $5,000 last year, does that mean they cannot claim me?

Since you were under the age of 19 on the last day of 2018 then you are eligible to be claimed as a dependent under the Qualifying Child rules.  Your income is not relevant as a Qualifying Child.

Ah, I see. So then will I be able to get any type of refund from the jobs that I worked if I will be claimed as a dependent? How can I tell if I am eligible?

thomalla

Your age on 12/31/18 is the only age that matters for your 2018 tax filling status. If you were under 19 and they provided the majority of your financial support (i.e., you lived in their house and ate their food), they can claim you.

You can get a refund if the withholding on your W2s box 2 is more than the tax on your income.  You have to fill out a tax return to see if you get a refund or owe more. Be sure to check the box that says you can be claimed on someone else's return.    As a dependent you don't qualify for any extra credits.  

thomalla

When you fill out your tax return (1040EZ) it will calculate the amount of your return. If federal income tax was withheld you will likely get a refund. You will not get a refund for FICA deducted (Social Security tax).

@thomalla wrote:

and they provided the majority of your financial support\

That is incorrect.  The requirement that a parent provides more than half of support went away about 15 years ago, the current requirement is that the child cannot provide more then half of their *own* support to be a Qualifying Child dependent - who provides the support is irreverent as long as the child does not.  And the child's income is also irrelevant if it is not used for support - the child can make any amount of money and put it in a bank and that will not count as support the child provides.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

@thomalla wrote:

When you fill out your tax return (1040EZ) i

The 1040EZ no longer exists for 2018.   The new (simplified) 1040 form replaces the 1040, 1040A and 1040EZ.  For 2018 there is only the 1040 form for everyone.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

If you choose "Someone can claim me on their taxes", can you still do the taxes at anytime, regardless of when the party that is claiming you will file theirs? Do you have to do it at the same time or share anything such as W2's with them? 

When you file your tax return it does not matter when anyone else files, or files at all.   You are required to check the "another taxpayer can claim me" box reguardless if the other tax payer actually claims you or not.  The question is:  *can" another tax payer claim you (there is a 2nd question that asks if the other taxpayer actually did claim you, but that is only used for certain educational credits.)

Your W-2 information only goes on your own tax return, nobody elses.

So @macuser_22 there is the "Someone can claim me as a dependent on their tax return" and there is "And this person will claim me on their 2018 tax return." For the second one (This person will claim me), is that the one for educational purposes and does not need to be used? Do I only use the first one, "Someone can claim me as a dependent?"

You answer both questions.  If you say that you can be claimed then the 2nd questions is require by the IRS whether you would qualify for any educational credits or not.

Answer the second question that you will be claimed unless you *know* for a fact that you will NOT be claimed by your parents.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies