turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I still efile my 2020 return if I dont owe anything as of today 11/9/2021 ?

Just been lazy and have not done this.  Did 2020 federal efile close yet?  We dont owe anything.     Amazingly I cant find this info anywhere.  Just alot of posts about when taxes are due.   Not sure why Im having a hard time finding out if I can still efile 2020 taxes.    Help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

E-file is closed for 2020 returns.  You can print, sign in ink, enclose any required documents and mail to the address on the first page of your printout for 2020.

Shoot!   Do you know when it closed and where that info is usually found?   Why does turbo tax not warn us?? Seems like that would be a handy function!

Thanks

Efiling always closes Oct 15.  Then if your efile is rejected you have until around Oct 20 to fix and resend it.   Yes they put up a warning to finish at the top when you log into your account.  

How to finish an online return you started  (this is for 2019 but is for 2020 too)
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-finish-a-prior-year-return-that-i-... 

According to another Intuit Accountants site, located at:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/individual/help/2019-e-file-start-and-stop-dates-for-federal....

IRS Annual maintenance and e-file closures

The IRS normally shuts down their e-file servers in November and December to prepare for the upcoming tax year. The Intuit Electronic Filing Center will stop accepting e-file transmissions before the IRS shutdown to ensure that all e-file submissions are received by the IRS before the shutdown.

After the shutdown, you'll no longer be able to e-file tax year 2018 returns nor receive e-file acknowledgements for tax year 2018 or prior returns. Tax year 2019 and 2020 returns can still be e-filed when the IRS re-opens for the tax year 2021 filing season.

@apodacal37 Some paid tax professionals have programs that will allow them to e-file a 2020 return.   But you cannot e-file 2020 or any earlier year from TurboTax.   If you still need to file your 2020 return you need to print it, sign and date it in ink, and mail it in.   Or pay a pro to e-file it for you.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies