turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I open a saved tax file (*.tax2020) [created with turbotax desktop] on a new computer without the downloaded software, using turbotax online?

Help  .  Did taxes on borrowed computer with downloaded turbotax 202 premier.  Have e mailed myself the tax file to my own computer with its firewall (unable to download the software)

Can i now open that .tax2020 file using the online version of turbotax?  I dont seem to be able to

thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I open a saved tax file (*.tax2020) [created with turbotax desktop] on a new computer without the downloaded software, using turbotax online?

No you can not open or import or move a current year tax file ie: .tax2020 from your computer back to the Online version.   You can only go the other way, from Online TO Desktop.   But you can Transfer the .tax2020 file into next year's Online version.

See my answer on your other post here,

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/after-you-file/discussion/re-how-import-prior-years-returns-new-co... 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You will need the desktop version to open the file.  Online is closed for 2020 season.

Have the PDF file sent to you instead ... that you can open with any PDF reader.  

No you can not open or import or move a current year tax file ie: .tax2020 from your computer back to the Online version.   You can only go the other way, from Online TO Desktop.   But you can Transfer the .tax2020 file into next year's Online version.

See my answer on your other post here,

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/after-you-file/discussion/re-how-import-prior-years-returns-new-co... 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies