turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How import prior years returns? New computer, but I still have the files of the prior years.

@Tax1946   You used a different computer last year but did you use the CD/Download Desktop program or the Online web version?  If you used the Online version you can log in from any computer.  

How import prior years returns? New computer, but I still have the files of the prior years.

This is my mini version of  a tutorial  that should be in the downloaded program: 

Always remember to shut off the auto update function once you have filed your returns and do not do any updates unless you have safeguarded the PDF & .taxfiles to a removable storage unit for safekeeping.

What is Forms Mode?

Forms Mode lets you view and make changes to your tax forms "behind the scenes."

If you're adventurous, you can even prepare your return in Forms Mode, but we don't recommend it. You may miss obscure credits and deductions you qualify for, and you may forget to report things that will come back and haunt you later.

Forms Mode is exclusively available in the TurboTax CD/Download software. It is not available in TurboTax Online.

Related Information:

If you want to play around with different figures and tax scenarios without affecting your original return you can ….

• >>>In the TurboTax CD/Download software by creating a test copy
  • 1.  Open your return in TurboTax. 
  • 2.  From the File menu, choose Save As. 
  • 3.  Give the copy a new name to distinguish it from the original (for example, by adding "Test" or "Example" to the file name). 
  • 4. Click  Save. You are now safely working in the test copy and anything you do here will not affect the original. 
  •  https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900642-how-to-make-a-test-copy-of-your-return

• >>  use the WHAT IF tool: 
  • - Click Forms Icon (upper right of screen) or Ctrl 2 (forms view) 
  • - Click on the Open Form Icon 
  • - In the “Type a form name.” area type What-If (with the dash), click on the name of the worksheet - click on Open Form 
  • - You will see the worksheet on the right side of the screen; enter the information right into the form 
  • - To get back to interview mode - click on the Step-by-Step Icon (upper right of screen) or Ctrl 1

It's always a good idea to make a backup copy of your tax data file, in case your original gets lost or corrupted. Here's how:

1. From the File menu in the upper-left corner of TurboTax, choose Save As (Windows) or Save (Mac).
  2. Browse to where you want to save your backup.
    • Tip: If you're saving to a portable device, save it to your computer first to prevent data corruption. Then, after completing Step 4, copy or move the backup file to your device.
  3. In the File name field, enter a name that will distinguish it from the original tax file (for example, add "Backup" or "Copy" to the file name)
  4. Click Save and then close TurboTax.
  5. Restart TurboTax and open the backup copy to make sure it's not corrupted. If you get an error, delete the backup and repeat these steps.

If you make changes to your original tax return file, repeat these steps to ensure your original and backup copies are in-synch.

Related Information:                             

AND save it as a PDF so you have access to a copy even if you don’t have the program still installed and operational :

AND protect the files :

Woody1946

The files are transferred to the new computer but Turbo Tax software doesn't seem to recognize them.  Give me the steps to take for the information to be transferred.

What filed did you move or copy to the new computer?  Are you trying to Transfer a prior year into the next  year?  Or to OPEN the file in the program?  What year?  And Windows or Mac?

Your tax files end in .tax or .tax2019, .tax2018, .tax2017, .tax2016, etc. They should be in your Documents in a Turbo Tax folder. You should also have the pdf files of each year. Or search your computer for all files ending in .tax. Also if you haven't done it, I would open each year in the program and save it as a pdf file, go to FILE - SAVE TO PDF so you don't need the program installed to view your return.  

What I would do is just copy the whole Turbo Tax folder that is under your Documents. That should be where the .tax files and pdf files are stored. Copy that folder to a flash drive or best yet is to burn it to a CD or DVD and then you will have a backup of them. Then on the new computer copy the folder (or files) from the flash drive to your Documents folder.

See this article on how to move your tax return to another computer…….
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/how-do-i-move-my-tax-data-file-to-another-compu...

How to Transfer 2019 into the Windows 2020 Desktop program,
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/transfer-last-year-s-return-to-turbotax-fo...

petersonb15
Returning Member

Thank you! You saved me a ton of time

@Critter-3 i hope you can help me also

I  used turbotax for the first time this year to complete and submit 2020 returns

I started working online then purchased and downloaded the desktop Premier program which required  borrowing someone else's computer (as my company computer has a firewall that prevents downloading any software).  To do this I saved the half completed 2020 return from the online version as a .tax2020 file and downloaded that onto the borrowed computer and with some help from your help desk folk was able to open in the newly downloaded Premier desktop software and complete and view all the forms on the computer (it opened the .tax202 file from the download folder)

The 2020 premier program and my  tax return confidential information are now on someone else's computer

I hop to get my own computer prior to 2021 returns, or if not, will use the online version in 2021

In any case I need to delete all my personal tax information from the borrowed computer and ideally also uninstall the turbotax software

I already saved my returns as pdf files and e mailed them to myself- i saved the version that was submitted to Federal NY and NJ ( I file in two states).  I also saved as pdfs the long version with all the worksheets that Turbotax creates

But I think i need to save as a .tax2020 file (and do not see how to do that) if I want to be able in the future to open the file and work with it (such as amend it).  Is that correct? I cant imagine the pdf is any use in the future apart from viewing it.  Is that correct?

For example if I need to amend the 2020 return, or start a 2021 return early next year, and pull up the 2020 information, surely i need my 2020 return saved as a .tax2020 file so that the turbotax software (be it online [and using a different computer from the one I just borrowed],  or with a new computer on which I would perhaps download the desktop 2021 version or reinstall the 2020 version I bought)) can recognize and open the file and access all the 2020 data

So having been told how to save the online 2020 data into a .tax2020 file to use with downloaded software I think I need to do the reverse: save the downloaded version 2020 return as a .tax 2020 file and e mail it to myself from the borrowed computer so that i can in the future open it again either by reinstalling the 2020 software for which I have a license number, onto another computer, or simply using the online version

Does that make sense- can you or another expert help me with this-- i need to return this computer in the next 24 hours

thank you

GT

Yes.  Right, you will need the .tax2020 file to Transfer into 2021, either to the Desktop program or the Online version.  Just copy the .tax2020 file to a usb flash drive or email it to yourself.  Then you can delete it from the borrowed computer.  But it is not really safe to email the pdf or .tax files.  You should always save a copy to  an external device like a flash drive for backup anyway.  

What I would do is just copy the whole Turbo Tax folder that is under your Documents. That should be where the .tax files and pdf files are stored. Copy that folder to a flash drive or best yet is to burn it to a CD or DVD and then you will have a backup of them. Then on the new computer copy the folder (or files) from the flash drive to your Documents folder. 

You only need the tax return data file ending in .tax2020 to transfer into 2021.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/how-do-i-move-my-tax-data-file-to-another-compu...

i have a similar situation for next year: worked on 2020 returns on someone elses computer onto which I donwloaded Premier desktop.  I saved the returns both as pdf and .tax files.  I have e mailed all those files to myself

next year when doind 2021 returns when i buy the 2021 software shouldnt i try to open the 2020 returns in the .tax file? isnt that "richer" and provides more inforamtion to turbotax???  you seem to imply opening the pdf is better???  thanks for clarifying.  If I wanted to amend 2020 I assume i reinstall the 2020 software on my computer (i already paid and have the license number) and then to open the 2020 return please advise- its hte .tax file that is better than the pdf? correct?

@georgia-tarnesby When using the 2021 TurboTax software you will be starting a New Tax Return and Transferring the 2020 tax data to the 2021 tax return.  So you only need to browse to the location where you copied the 2020 tax data file to transfer to the 2021 tax return.  Not the PDF.

Yes, you will need to have the 2020 TurboTax software installed if you want to amend the 2020 tax return.  You would continue the 2020 tax return using the 2020 software.  You may have to open the 2020 tax data file before you can amend.  Click on the File menu at the top left of the desktop program screen and then click on Open Tax Return.  You may have to browse to the location of the 2020 tax data file.  Once the 2020 tax return is opened you can amend the 2020 return.

How or where did I imply the pdf is better?  No it's not.  You should always transfer from the prior year .taxyyyy data file.   And you don't "open" the 2020 file in the 2021 Desktop program.   You Transfer it into a new blank return.

To amend in the future.  Yes you would need to open the .taxyyyy file in that year's program.  So you would need to install the 2020 program to amend 2020.   

Essie1210
Returning Member

I need to import my 2020 turbo tax file to my new computer in order to have a comparison for 2021.

Do you need to move all the programs or just your returns?  Your returns are not in the program but in separate files.

You only need the file ending in .tax2020 to transfer into 2021.

Your tax files end in .tax or .tax2017, .tax2018 or .tax2019 or .tax2020 etc.  They should be in your Documents in a Turbo Tax folder.  You should also have the pdf files of each year.  Or search your computer for all files ending in .tax.  Also if you haven't done it,  I would open each year in the program and save it as a PDF file, go to File-Save to PDF so you don't need the program installed to view or print your return in the future like to get a mortgage or loan, etc.

What I would do is just copy the whole Turbo Tax folder that is under your Documents.  That should be where the .tax files and pdf files are stored.  Copy that folder to a flash drive or best yet is to burn it to a CD or DVD and then you will have a backup of them.   Then on the new computer copy the folder (or files) from the flash drive to your Documents folder.

The programs need to be installed from the CD or download them again.  You don't need to install them unless you need to amend or open a return.  They only support the last 3 years so you might not be able to update older years or download any state programs you need.

After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to File-New Tax Return).

Then go to FILE -Open and find your return.

rheaps
Returning Member

Just trying to transfer last years info into 2021 Turbotax

@rheaps   You need to have the 2020 tax return file ending in .tax2020 on your computer to transfer into 2021.  Do you have that file?

How to Transfer into the Windows Desktop program
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/transfer-last-year-s-return-to-turbotax-fo...

How to Transfer into the Mac Desktop program
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/how-do-i-transfer-last-year-s-return-into-the-t...

rfcafare

trying to update the personal info from 2020 to  2021. I download the 2021 program and used  a cd in 2020

Manage cookies