Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

donjones7250
Returning Member

Can I install TT Premier and TT Deluxe (via CD) on the same computer at the same time, or do I need to uninstall one before installing the other?

I have multiple returns to repair, using different States.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I install TT Premier and TT Deluxe (via CD) on the same computer at the same time, or do I need to uninstall one before installing the other?

Thank you For using TurboTax,

On windows you cannot have two products installed on the same Machine.

On MAC you can install both the products

View solution in original post

24 Replies

You cannot install more than one TurboTax desktop CD/Download personal tax editions for the same tax year on a computer.
Why are you using more than one TurboTax desktop CD/Download edition?  
The desktop programs can complete as many tax returns as needed without charge after initial purchase.  Each program includes 5 free federal tax return e-files (number set by IRS rules).  Any further tax returns can be printed and mailed.  You can install as many different state programs as needed using the desktop editions.  But can only e-file up to three states with one federal tax return.  Any further state returns have to be printed and mailed.
donjones7250
Returning Member

My experience has been that to add a state when preparing a second return is almost as much as buying a second TT CD.  This year I found a good deal so I bought a TT Deluxe instead of adding a state to my TT Premier.

Thank you For using TurboTax,

On windows you cannot have two products installed on the same Machine.

On MAC you can install both the products

punz

I do my tax returns, fed and state using premier.  But I need to install deluxe to do my elderly father's returns.   Are you saying that I can do his fed and state returns using just the premier version I bought for myself?   I tried to load the deluxe version after I did mine on premier, and got a message saying I could not have them both on the same computer.   Any clarification is greatly appreciated.  Tx,  

@punz wrote:

I do my tax returns, fed and state using premier.  But I need to install deluxe to do my elderly father's returns.   Are you saying that I can do his fed and state returns using just the premier version I bought for myself?   I tried to load the deluxe version after I did mine on premier, and got a message saying I could not have them both on the same computer.   Any clarification is greatly appreciated.  Tx,  

Using the TurboTax desktop edition software installed on a personal computer, you can create, complete and file as many tax returns as needed.   Use the Premier edition you already installed. 

Once you have completed one tax return you can start another tax return.  Or you can start another tax return at any time.  Just save the current tax return and start a new tax return.  Click on the File menu at the top left of the program screen.  Click on Save or Save As... to save the current return.  Then click on New Tax Return to start another return. 

You do not need to purchase another desktop edition for another tax return. 

All of the TurboTax desktop edition include the same forms, schedule and worksheets.  The only difference between the editions is the amount of assistance received in the user interface.

If you purchased the Deluxe desktop edition from TurboTax - Go to this TurboTax website to request a refund for the software purchased from TurboTax - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/forms/refund-request.jsp

taxmule
Returning Member

Hi,

I am trying to install Premier on my mac.

2 disk are on the dest top (silver with a red check)

I have the red circle with a white check mark in my took bar but when I click I hear the cd spinning but nothing has been happening for some time (5+ minutes)

When I try to eject the desk I get a message that TT is using it.

What should i do?

@taxmule wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to install Premier on my mac.

2 disk are on the dest top (silver with a red check)

I have the red circle with a white check mark in my took bar but when I click I hear the cd spinning but nothing has been happening for some time (5+ minutes)

When I try to eject the desk I get a message that TT is using it.

What should i do?

What Mac OS are you on?  TurboTax requires OSX 10.13 or higher.

1) Restart the Mac.

2) If the same problem then the CD might be bad or the CD reader is margional or needs lens cleaning.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
taxmule
Returning Member

Thank you. I seem to be past the software loading and now updating the files and the Extracting Update prompt  but is seems to be stuck at about 95% complete. 

I force exited and did it again and recived the same results.

taxmule
Returning Member

I am running on Catalina. It a new Mac, less that 1 year old.

I deleted the program and I am reinstalling.

The CD drive is from Apple, about 1 year old and only used a handfull of times.

I will keep trying.

Thanks

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

If you find you still need help, please contact customer support by following the instructions below. 

Contact Customer Support 

@taxmule

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@taxmule wrote:

Thank you. I seem to be past the software loading and now updating the files and the Extracting Update prompt  but is seems to be stuck at about 95% complete. 

I force exited and did it again and recived the same results.

Before attempting to update be SURE that the CD has been ejected and in not in the CD drive or the update will never complete since it will be trying to update the CD which is impossible.

If that is not the cause then Restart the Mac.    If the problem persists then:

Corruption could have occurred in the Application or in an associated preference or support file.

The best remedy is to totally uninstall TurboTax and all associate files and then re-install. That will not delete or change any .tax2019 data file that had already been created with the tax data.

To uninstall the application and all associated files need to be deleted and then the application reinstalled. If there was a state then the state must also be reinstalled.

Here is a FAQ for how to uninstall Mac
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901210-remove-uninstall-turbotax-for-mac

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901209-reinstall-turbotax-mac

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Were you able to use both states on the same return even though one state was purchased with Premiere and one was deluxe.  I have asked this question before and never gotten a reply.

It does not matter which version of TurboTax you install the state with.  The difference betwen Deluxe and Premier is that Premier has interviews to assist with rental property, investment, and some financial issues, like refinancing a mortgage.  The state versions are the same with Deluxe or Premier.

TurboTax Premier

@ taxidr23

I already have a Turbo Tax  Federal + State program on my laptop.  I have several family members, one of which has earnings in three states.  If I purchase another Federal + State package, will I be able to use those two states on the same return??

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies