turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I install 2 copies of Turbo Tax Deluxe on the same computer?

I have realized that I need to do more than 5 returns so I bought another Turbo Tax Deluxe. Can I install it on the same computer as my last Turbot Tax Deluxe?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
jcamlee

My husband and I file separately.  I have 2 different Turbotax Home and Business CD's.  My computer wants to override one.  How can I download both as separate items?
Anita01

You can only have one copy installed at a time.  It doesn't matter if they are two separate CDs, nor does it matter if they are different versions.  They are all versions of the personal program and only one can be installed on a Windows computer.
Anita01

No, you cannot, but it wouldn't help anyway.  You can prepare and file on paper as many returns as you want.  The restriction is on e-filing.  It's an IRS restriction and cannot be avoided by adding a second program to your computer.

DannyCheung
Returning Member

• Can I install 2 copies of Turbo Tax Home and Business on the same computer? 
CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Yes. The TurboTax user license allows one user to install copies of TurboTax on up to five computers that the user owns. You can also prepare multiple returns, including returns for other people. But the license does not allow, and has never allowed, one copy to be shared among different people.  This year, that license is being enforced by requiring users to log into their TurboTax online account when they install the program for the first time. This locks one particular copy of the program and one license code to one user account. The only way you could install the program on a computer that you do not own, would be to give the other person your online username and password. And even though that workaround might allow the installation, it’s still a violation of the license.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

• @DannyCheung 
  •  
  • "Can I install 2 copies of Turbo Tax Home and Business on the same computer? "

No.  You can only install one copy of the CD/download on a computer.  There would be no point to trying to install more than one copy of the same software program.  Your license code allows you to prepare and e-file up to five federal returns.     Those five federal returns can be for yourself and other family members, etc. who are using your computer.   That is an IRS limit.  You cannot e-file more than five.   If you have more than five returns to file, you have to mail the additional returns.  

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@DannyCheung   Why do you want to install 2 Home & Business programs?  There is a way to have 2 licenses. Under Help - Switch Product - Activate new product.  Don't know what that will do or what benefit you will get.  Don't think it will allow you to efile more than 5.  

One user wanted to buy another license and found…..
There are other reasons why I wanted my own licensed copy, and I was wanting to know how to apply said license. I went ahead and purchased the new license and I found that there is a 'help / switch product / Activate New Product' option, and there I was able to enter the new license. After doing this, I can see both new and old licenses in that 'switch product' dialog.

Employee said….. With TurboTax desktop open:
Select Help in the upper left corner
Move your cursor down to Switch product
Select H&B
Follow the onscreen prompts

You can have both the personal Home&Business program and the separate Business program installed at the same time.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies