turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I get stimulus check thru 2020 tax return?

I got my 1st and 2nd stimulus check, I have some stimulus check questions for my spouse and my daughter.

1. My daughter is my dependent, but I did not get neither 1st nor 2nd stimulus check for her. Is it because she has an non-valid for work SSN? Can I get her stimulus check thru 2020 tax return?

2. My spouse does not have an SSN or ITIN yet, so we did not get his stimulus checks. He's my dependent, but he's not in the US for more than 1 year due to the pandemic. Can I claim myself as head of household, and add him later by amending my tax return? Or I have to put him into the 2020 tax return, although he cannot get an SSN or ITIN? Can he get his stimulus checks thru 2020 tax return?

It's a complicated situation. Thanks for helping.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

The bottom line it appears on all of these situations is you must have a valid social security number to be eligible for the Recovery Rebate Credit on your 2020 tax return.  The dependent child must have one and your spouse must have one to qualify as well. 

If your child has a social security number, it is valid for employment unless you received specific documentation that it is not such.

Here is a link with more information on the Recovery Rebate Credit.

An added note for you, your spouse will not ever be your dependent.  You will need to file as married filing separately or if you have a qualifying dependent and elect to treat your spouse as a non-resident alien, you may be able to file "head of household".  The TurboTax interview questions will help you determine the right status for your situation.  

Here is a link to the IRS Publication to help with your filing status questions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So, to double confirm.

1. I have a "valid for work" SSN, but my daughter has a "not valid for employment" SSN, so if I want to get the Recovery Rebate Credit for my daughter, she must have a "valid for employment" SSN.

2. For my spouse, he got the green card last year, but does not have an SSN or ITIN yet. I cannot claim him as a dependent, unless he got either SSN or ITIN. I can only do married filing separately. And what he can do is to file married filing separately when he gets an SSN or ITIN.

Am I right? Thank you.

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

You are correct.  I'll add one more item. 

The social security cards must be issued before the due date of the 2020 tax return (15 Apr 2021) or if an extension is requested (15 Oct 2021). 

So if you apply and get the social security cards for everyone by one of these dates, you will file Married Filing Jointly with a dependent child giving you all the best tax advantages and eligibility for all the Recovery Rebate Credits.   

Here is the link with information on the Recovery Rebate Credit.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies