Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I get some help filling out this 8822?

My mom address on file for the irs is her husband's address.He was the one who moved out of her house because of a order of protection.

When he filed taxes, he changed my mom address on file to his address without telling her anything.She does not live with him.

He filed "married but separated" for 2016 and 2017.My mom has not filed since 2015, she filed with her husband when he lived with her.

We found out about him changing the address when we made a request for a transcript, it only went through when my mom used her SSN and his street number.We canceled the request because we want the transcript to come to her address instead of his.

I did many hours of research and discover the 8822 form.

I printed a 8822 form and need some help in filling it.

"1"

What changes would take place if she places a X mark on the first box?

I assume she puts a X below the first question because her husband residents in a different address?

"6a old address" does she write the incorrect address on file or the address she currently lives in?

"6b spousal old address" he has not lived with her for 3 years, do I write his current address?

"7 new address" I write my mom current address? 

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MarcC

Can I get some help filling out this 8822?

What changes would take place if she places a X mark on the first box?
By placing an X in the first box, you will indicate to the IRS the change of address will affect the address listed on your mother’s applicable tax return (Forms 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ, 1040NR, etc.)

I assume she puts a X below the first question because her husband residents in a different address?
Yes, she will mark the box with an X as her husband’s address differs from hers.

"6a old address" does she write the incorrect address on file or the address she currently lives in?
Yes, include the old address on file.

"6b spousal old address" he has not lived with her for 3 years, do I write his current address?
Yes, enter his current address.

"7 new address" I write my mom current address? 
Yes, enter your mother’s new address. 

The following is a link to form 8822 along with instructions. Refer to page 2 for mailing addresses: 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies