Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I enter self-employment expenses (a few hundred dollars so not very significant) if I am using Turbotax premier Online version?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I enter self-employment expenses (a few hundred dollars so not very significant) if I am using Turbotax premier Online version?

No.   In order to prepare a Schedule C for business expenses you need online Self-Employed software or any  version of the CD/download.  If you need to enter business expenses you will have to upgrade to online Self-Employed.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

8 Replies

No.   In order to prepare a Schedule C for business expenses you need online Self-Employed software or any  version of the CD/download.  If you need to enter business expenses you will have to upgrade to online Self-Employed.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Was afraid of that....and also there is no version if you have a Chromebook if I wanted a download version...thank you.  Probably $100 deductions on $900 income is a minuscule amount so not sure it is worth upgrading

A self-employed individual is required to report all income and deduct all expenses. Revenue Ruling 56-407, 1956-2 C.B. 564, deals with the issue of taxpayers not taking all allowable deductions in computing net earnings from self-employment for self-employment tax purposes. Rev. Rul. 56-407 held that under §1402(a), every taxpayer (with the exception of certain farm operators) must claim all allowable deductions in computing net earnings from self-employment for self-employment tax purposes.

If your AGI is $73,000 or less, use one of the IRS free file options.

Free File: Do your Federal Taxes for Free | Internal Revenue Service (irs.gov)

Thank you for the reply.  Not being dense on purpose, so TurboTax Premier (download version) will be ok?  My wife gets 1099s for her job as a fitness instructor at a few local gyms.  I am looking to enter mileage to and from, equipment (shoes, apparel), music subscriptions (for music used in the classes that she pays for), maybe partial internet/phone used for scheduling and class preparation (music downloading, etc...)

Yes any Desktop/download version (even Deluxe).  All the Desktop programs have the same forms.

To switch to Desktop.....

You can download the .tax2022 data file without paying for Online and continue in the desktop version. First download the .tax2022 file from Online. How to Save the tax file
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/saving/help/how-do-i-save-my-turbotax-online-return-as-a-tax-data-...

How to switch to the Desktop program
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-online-to-th...

After you get the program reinstalled the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to FILE - NEW). Enter some basic information, then go to the state tab and download the state program. Then try to open your existing return, go to FILE - OPEN

You can buy the Desktop program at stores or directly here,

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/  

Oh but you said you have a Chromebook?  Can't install the Desktop program on that.  Do you have access to a full Windows or Mac computer?

Window System Requirements
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/system-requirements/help/minimum-system-requirements-for-turbotax-...

Mac System Requirements
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/system-requirements/help/minimum-system-requirements-for-turbotax-...

Yes, I can get access to a Windows laptop or Mac - thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies