Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

debra1ze

Can I efile state only seperatley

I e-filed Federal last week
Can I efile State seperately
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
MikeaLO

A state return can only be e-filed if a Federal return is e-filed at the same time, or if the Federal return was already e-filed and accepted.

jamjet321

The second part behind the comma may have been the intention but doesn't appear to be the facts.

@jamjet321 - the answer (both parts) are correct.   You can only e-file a state return in TurboTax if the Federal return has been filed and accepted using TurboTax - either by e-filing both at the same time OR by e-filing the state after the Federal has been accepted.  E-fileing the state a week after the Federal return previously filed with TurboTax and was accepted is no problem.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

You must also efile out of the same account for both returns ... you cannot use another program to file the federal and then use TT to file the state ... that will not fly.   Mailing in the return is your only option.
MikeAronis
Returning Member

Here is the rub, error on e-filing fed due to PIN issue blocks one from e-filing State. So you have  print and mail Fed and then How do you E-file the state return??????

Unless your state has the option to efile directly on their web site you have NO option ... if you mailed in your federal you MUST also mail in the state.

I already filed federal taxes and been accepted.  I am trying to e-file the state taxes but keep getting a message that an update to turbotax is required, however, when I check for updates, it says it is up to date.  What can I do?

BarbaraW22
Expert Alumni

There may be a form in your state return that is not available yet or cannot be e-filed. Please see this TurboTax Help Article to make sure all your state forms are available and/or can be e-filed.  

You may need to delete your temporary internet files (cache & cookies) to resolve this issue. The steps to delete your temporary internet files depends on which internet browser you are using. Below is a list of common internet browsers, please click on the one you are using for instructions:

If you are still unable to e-file your state return, you can print and mail it by clicking on Tax Tools from the menu on the left-hand side of the screen and then Print Center. Please see the instruction page that prints out for the correct address to mail your return.

@boisverttaxes

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
lisagalinis
Returning Member

• I only need to file my state taxes
  •  
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

@lisagalinis In most cases, no. Most states use federal adjusted gross income (AGI) as a starting point for state tax. Therefore, the state will not accept the state return unless they get a green light that the federal return was accepted, meaning federal AGI is good. That will only happen if federal and state are e-filed together.

Some states allow you to file a state return for free directly on their state tax website. You can check whether your state allows that. TurboTax has a list of state websites here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

What if fed was filed outside turboxtax?

Then you will have to print and mail state.  

If you didn't use Turbo Tax to do your federal return, you would first have to fill out a federal return (don't file it) to match the real return you did file and you would have to pay for federal for it to flow into the state return. Then you would have to mail the state.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/filing-and-paying-taxes/help/can-i-prepare-and-file-just-my-state-...

Just file state
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/filing-and-paying-taxes/help/can-i-prepare-and-file-just-my-state-...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies