turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I confirm that my extension was done properly? I did a federal extension in turbotax but now I don't see how to confirm that and the payment that I set up.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Can I confirm that my extension was done properly? I did a federal extension in turbotax but now I don't see how to confirm that and the payment that I set up.

If TurboTax gave you a confirmation of submission, it is a bit of a waiting game for the extension to be accepted.  The IRS is processing a bit slow because of the high volume.  But even if it is rejected, the IRS will not penalize you if you fix the rejection timely and refile.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
MK2323

I THINK I just filed for a Federal extension to October 15 but have not received any confirmation from TurboTax that it was processed and transmitted to the IRS  How do I confirm that I did it right?  When I finished filling form out there was nothing to click to indicate it was transmitted.

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

To check on the status of your tax return, just log back into your Turbo Tax account. You will see the status of your tax return on the first page. 

If there is an issue with your return, follow the on screen directions to make any corrections that are needed.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
MK2323

Thank you, I have gone back to sign in and TurboTax is insisting I continue with my filing with no indication an extension request has been received.  It just keeps telling me "You're almost done!" and I don't want to continue yet, as I need more time to get other documents collected.  I've printed out a mail in form

and will get it postmarked before 7/15/20 to reassure myself that I've filed for an extension.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies