Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jnm02-

Can i claim the 3rd stimulus checl een though my mom receive dit for me last year?

3rd stimulus check even though my mom received it last year
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Can i claim the 3rd stimulus checl een though my mom receive dit for me last year?

Yes, if you can’t be claimed as a dependent. 

PattiF
Expert Alumni

You are eligible to claim the third recovery rebate for 2021 if you are no longer a dependent. If your parents claimed you as a dependent on their 2020 return, they received the payment from the IRS. If they are not claiming you this year, and you are claiming yourself, you can claim the recovery rebate. 

You would answer no to the question about the third stimulus if you are not a dependent for 2021. You can claim yourself and take the credit since the payment did not go to you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If you were a dependent on a 2020 return but filing independent for 2021 you can get it now and they don't have to pay it back.  So say NO you did not get one because you didn't one, your parents got it.

The 3rd Stimulus payment is really based on 2021.  The IRS just sent the checks out using 2020 to get them out fast.

See IRS Topic B first question

Questions and Answers about the Third Economic Impact Payment — Topic B: Eligibility and Calculation...

Comosmom98
Returning Member

what if mother got checks for 3 kids based on 2019 return but the grandma actually raised them all of 2021? Can grandma still get the credits even tho the mother initially got the payments?

@Comosmom98 Answered in your other thread.   Grandma can get the recovery rebate credit.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@Comosmom98 wrote:

what if mother got checks for 3 kids based on 2019 return but the grandma actually raised them all of 2021? Can grandma still get the credits even tho the mother initially got the payments?

Yes, if the children are being claimed as dependents on your 2021 tax return then you are eligible for the $1,400 Recovery Rebate Credit for each dependent on the 2021 tax return if you did not receive the 3rd stimulus payment for them in March - May 2021 timeframe.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies