turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

keyby17

Can I cancel form I'm now working on and file a itemized return. I cannot locate "Tax Tools" on upper left or an icon to "clear and start over". Help?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Can I cancel form I'm now working on and file a itemized return. I cannot locate "Tax Tools" on upper left or an icon to "clear and start over". Help?

You do not have to cancel the form you are working on to change to an  itemized tax return. 

This link to the TurboTax help page How do I change from the standard deduction to itemized (or vice-versa)? has information on how to switch between standard and Itemized tax deductions.  

When you go to this lhelp page select the link to TurboTax Online Instructions

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Just enter all your Itemized Deductions into your current return.  Turbo Tax will give you the Standard Deduction or Itemized Deductions whichever is more.

Do you think you will have enough to itemize this year?  Starting in 2018 the Standard Deduction doubled so many people switched to the Standard Deduction.  And there is a max 10,000 limit (5,000 MFS) of property tax and state taxes "SALT".

For 2019 the standard deduction amounts are:

Single 12,200 + 1,650 for 65 and over or blind

HOH 18,350 + 1,650 for 65 and over or blind

Joint 24,400+ 1,300 for each 65 and over or blind

Married filing Separate 12,200 + 1,300 for 65 and over or blind

As the helpers mentioned above, you don't have to start over to add itemized deductions.

However, if you DO want to start over for some other reason, you can use "Clear and Start Over" as long as you haven't registered, filed, or paid.

You appear to be using Online Deluxe, but we don't know for sure if you are using Online TurboTax on a computer, or whether you are using the Mobile App on a portable device.  

If you are using Online TurboTax through a browser, you are not looking in the right place.  It is not in the upper left corner, and it is not done with an icon.    Or are you using the Mobile App?   If you are using the Mobile App, you have to sign into Online TurboTax through a web browser to clear your return;  you can't do it directly while in the Mobile App.

In Online TurboTax, you must be sure your return is open first before you can get to Tax Tools; i.e., sign in and choose to continue working on the return.

When the return is open, there should be a left column menu.

Click on TAX TOOLS, then in the submenu you can choose "Clear and Start Over."  (see image below)

Again, you won't see any of that unless you are signed into Online TurboTax in a browser, not the Mobile App.

Here's an image.   Click to enlarge.

ClearStartOver.png

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies