turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Am I qualified for this situation "Plans in my area were not affordable", to waive the tax penalty for not having health insurance?

I live in Salt Lake City Utah and I don't have the health insurance for all year in 2018. I know that: If I want to claim the exemption for an unaffordable health coverage, 8.05% of my household income should be lower than the lowest-cost health coverage in my area. My household income is about $25,000. ($25000 x 8.05% = $2012.5) How much is the cost of the lowest-cost coverage in Salt Lake City Utah? Am I qualified to waive the penalty?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Am I qualified for this situation "Plans in my area were not affordable", to waive the tax penalty for not having health insurance?

Because I don't know how many you have in your family, I can't say.  But this says that if your income is below 138% of the poverty level, then you'll qualify for the exemption.

So for example if you were single, your income would have to be lower than $16,642 ($12,060 * 1.38).

If you lived in a state in 2018 that chose not to expand Medicaid and your income is below 138% of the 2018 poverty level for your household size, then no affordable options were available to you. (The poverty levels for 2018 were $12,060 for an individual, $16,240 for a household of two, $20,420 for a household of three and $24,600 for a household of four). This includes Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Kansas, Maine, Missouri, Mississippi, Nebraska, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies