turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

As a Webcam Model I have made under $400 this year. Do I still have to fill out any forms? If so, which ones? Will I owe a lot?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

18 Replies
Carl
Level 15

As a Webcam Model I have made under $400 this year. Do I still have to fill out any forms? If so, which ones? Will I owe a lot?

I'm sure that overall, you made more than $400 from all sources in 2015. If so, you can just report the "Less" than $400 you made being self-employed, as misc income. That way, you'll pay regular tax on it, but will not be subject to the additional self-employment tax PROVIDED all 1099-MISC and other self-employment income totals to less than $400 for the tax year.

Okay so with both the modeling comapnies I'm in, I have made less than $400.
So even though I stayed under the limit for both of them, I will have to file?
Are you saying that the two add together and are not seperate?

You had no other income of any type at all?

Only at Kohls but they take their percent out automaticity.
Carl
Level 15

They are not separate. If self-employment income from ALL sources, is more than $400, then you'll report that income as a part of your personal tax return, on SCH C. In addition to regular taxes, you'll also pay self-employment taxes on that self-employment income only.
Even if it's less than $400, if the total of ALL income, regardless of it's source, is more than $6200, you are required to file a tax return. I'm sure your total income from all sources was in excess of $6200, because a person can not survive on less than that for a year, unless they are claimed as a dependent on someone else-s return - such as your parent's return.

The taxes taken out at Kohls are an estimate of the income tax you might owe.  You might actually owe more or less.  That's why you prepare a tax return, to figure out your true tax and get  refund if too much was withheld.

Is there a number I can call to help me with this?
I'm just really confused...
Carl
Level 15

You're confused only because your initial question left a lot for the reader to interpret. Here's the deal. I am assuming the following:
1) You are single
2) You are NOT claimed as a dependent on any one else's return
3) You do NOT have dependents, such as a child, that you support.

Since you also worked at Kohls, I have no doubt you had taxes withheld from that pay. So you need to file a tax return.
 If your total earnings for the year from ALL sources was less than $10,200, *AND* your self-employment part of your total earnings was less than $400, you file a tax return to get all those withheld taxes refunded to you.
If your total earnings from ALL sources, was more than $10,200 dollars, including your self-employment income, you are REQUIRED by law to file a tax return, no matter what.
So the bottom line is, you're filing a tax return. Since your self-employment income was less than $400, I'll be happy to walk you through reporting your 1099-MISC income in the program, *when you get to that point* in the program, so as not to confuse you.

You must also file to get any EIC for which you might be eligible.

Okay so here's my situation.
I started cramming only just a couple months ago on two different sites.
Both I stayed under $400. Yes I know they are not seperate.
I also work at Kohls.
I am not single but not married.
And I'm pretty sure I'm claimed as a dependent on my parents.
And no I don't have kids.
Carl
Level 15

For your parent's return, why are you not sure if you're claimed as a dependent? Are you a collage student who was under the age of 24 on Dec 31 of 2015? If so, this changes the ballgame entirely. Still easy to explain to you. But we need to know which ballpark we're playing in, is all.
Please don't get discouraged and hang in there. YOu can do this.

You must report all your income on your tax return.  Since your total self-employment is less than $400, @Carl is suggesting a simplified way to report the cam earnings.  It would go as "other miscellaneous income" in Turbotax.  The amount of tax due would be about 10% of the total amount you earned.  The amount is small enough that you do not need to make an extra payment to the IRS now.

If you go back to the cam sites and start to earn more money so that your total is over $400, you must use the more complicated way to report the self-employment income.  Keep track of your income and also any expenses you have to generate that income (such as commissions to pay to sites, or props that you buy, or your computer) as they MAY be able to reduce your taxable income.  Your tax owed would then be about 25% or 30% (15% self employment tax plus 10% or 15% income tax.)

As of right now I am a college student under 24. I was in college last year too.
So I should be a dependent under my parents.
I just don't want them to know I did camming....

...and your tax status is "single"   
 The IRS doesn't care about your dating status, or if you are engaged...You are either married, or you are not.  (Married  or single).

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies