turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

seanpete1

Anyone know if the connection between TurboTax and Schwab is down? I give my correct login/pwd. TurboTax gives message box " charles schwab & Co. Inc. General Error".

When I log into my Charles Schwab account- which I confirm is correct and has my info (I can log into it directly on the web browser and see all my info but not when I am asked for credentials in TurboTax).  When I submit my schwab credentials Turbo Tax launches message box that " charles schwab & Co. Inc. General Error". Any one know why this is happening? Is Schwab server talking to TUrbo Tax server?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

Anyone know if the connection between TurboTax and Schwab is down? I give my correct login/pwd. TurboTax gives message box " charles schwab & Co. Inc. General Error".

It does not work for me either.  The Schwab server must be down for maintenance.   Many companies are doing maintenance over the long weekend.  Try again on Tuesday.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

….also, last year, a number of the brokerage had taken down their tax files by now, and that "might" be the case for Schwab......don't know where Schwab sits on that.  SO if it doesn't work next week, then you may be stuck with entering the data manually.

The PDF files you see in your online account are different from the specially-formatted tax files that are downloaded into the tax software.  The PDF files will likely be available for years...the tax software downloads are not.
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Go to your financial website (Charles Schwab) and make sure you check a box that allows 3rd party access. This has been known to solve issue. 

@micannde Thank you this worked for me too. 

1. Go to Schwab.com and sign in
  2. Click the profile picture icon in the upper-right corner next to Logout
  3. Click "Security Center"
  4. Scroll down to "Third-Party Access to Account Information"
  5. Under OFX, select "Enable Third party access"
  6. Click "Save"
  7. Come back to Turbotax and it should import your documents now.

Still not working now...did anyone get it to work?  

Anonymous
Not applicable

are you using the online premier version or higher?  the free edition doesn't now provide for downloads of stock transactions.  Scwab's server is working. 6/13/2020 12:05PM CST.   I just tried it.

Yes, unfortunately stuck in the self-employed version.  Merrill is not working either...my guess is must be Turbotax side.  

Just spoke to Charles Schwab Tech Support.  They said the issue is occurring with Mac users and are currently working on a resolution

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Thank you for providing this update.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies